Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A visit to Deauville and Honfleur (LFRG)

Or you could cycle the opposite direction and go horse racing in Deauville

Alpha_Floor wrote:

The second picture from the bottom is quite interesting! Are those showers falling from such a thin cloud layer?

I noticed that too, we flew underneath a few of those clouds and they are rainshowers.

EHTE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

Deauville airport has been avoided by many for many years because the local taxi drivers are taking the p1ss by charging €50 each way. I wonder if anything has changed?

No, it hasn’t changed and I read about it before I went. I just assumed Honfleur was a longer drive than 15 minutes it turned out to be. I called the taxi company suggested by the airport, they sent a nice van without a taximeter and initially the (friendly) gentleman charged me € 55,00, I negotiated that down to € 45,00. On the way back I tried to go a little lower again, but € 45,00 was the limit. It’s a lot of money for the privilege… The landing fee was a modest € 16,80, so that was OK.

EHTE, Netherlands

quatrelle wrote:

I dont blame you, we could have bought another plane with what we have saved on taxi fares over the years

We go to Honfleur and Deauville several times every year, (mainly because no customs notice reqd) …. the best bit is the bike ride up that bloody hill out of Honfleur, but even thats better than shelling out 50 euro on a taxi

Honfleur beach is unbeatable and worth climbing those 500ft
Tough I got into folding bicycle idea after getting stuck in *$$/holes for 2h waiting for those reliable taxis and paying load of money vs a quick and cheap 30min flight (my failed trip to watch a red arrow display at Lowestoft beach while landing at Beccles comes to mind, I still think that trip is worth a logbook entry )

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Feb 20:43
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

bicycle idea after getting stuck in *$$/holes for 2h waiting

I could not agree more

Here is a decent place thats only 15 mins bike ride from the airfield and still 500ft AMSL !

Not sure if its open weekends ?

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g1220200-d4761177-Reviews-Le_merle_blanc-Gonneville_sur_Honfleur_Honfleur_Calvados_Basse_Normandie_Normand.html

Will check the place for food some Saturday this summer ;)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We should do a fly-in there Then, 4-up, the taxi won’t be expensive.

Unfortunately, for some reason very few French pilots come to the many meet-ups we do in N France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Definitely a good place for a fly-in, once you arrange some ground transportation. Be aware you will be parked on grass from May to September, but it is good grass.

There is a bus stopping at the airport, but it is not efficient for a day trip.
If you set a date on a Saturday and early (say a month before), we can carry you around with 2 cars (so about 6 pax). For free

LFOU, France

It’s true that we have done lots of these on weekdays, which is difficult for many…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I can help with transport too a Saturday, I live at less an hour driving of LFRG.

Caen LFRK, France
Sign in to add your message