Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA to Salzburg LOWS, Feb 2019, fly to ski

Here is another video of an IFR flight in Europe, in the Eurocontrol system. It is 4hrs edited down to 25 mins and preserving all the ATC calls.

Salzburg is a “big” airport in terms of where GA can land in Europe without paying 3 or 4 digits. But you can see how competently the ATC there deals with GA.

I will post some pics tomorrow.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great video Peter, thanks for posting.
Lot’s to see for a budding IR pilot.
I would have ( completely understand why you didn’t ) prefered to have ’ sat through ’ the IMC with you to experience the timing and the layers of clouds.
I wish I could have joined in for the trip but unfortunately, working hard every day is what pays for my flying, so weekends only for me at the moment.

United Kingdom

Still amazes me that nobody complains about you never reporting your level on initial calls (well, one of the Munich controllers acutally did). It seems like most of them don‘t have the definite instruction to verify the altitude output of the transponder if the indication makes sense and is steady.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The encoder gets verified upon the initial entry into the IFR system i.e. London Control.

Administrator

Still, most (all?) national radiotelephony procedure manuals require the altitude/level to be reported, upon each initial contact with a new station.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

OK; I have no idea why this bit never got through to me.

Perhaps another reason ATC don’t ask is because 99.9% of the time there is no other traffic. On that flight I probably heard 1 other light GA aircraft in the lower airway system, i.e. on the frequency. IFR light GA is miniscule in Europe.

I would have ( completely understand why you didn’t ) prefered to have ’ sat through ’ the IMC with you to experience the timing and the layers of clouds.

The IMC was only a few mins and if there were no radio calls in it, there would be nothing to show

I’ve been trying to improve the sound track. Currently my voice is much louder than ATC and this cannot be fixed at the intercom side, but should be possible to “normalise” with a sound editor. However for some reason Audacity is unable to do it…

Administrator

Great video, especially the views of Salzburg.
That makes me want to get the IR even more :)
And you FPL didn’t get lost ;)

Thanks for completely validating LOWS as a good GA airport and destination.

How would you have managed this thin icing layer without TKS ?

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Feb 11:52
LFOU, France

It would have been ok without TKS. Base was 7000ft, top 7700ft. I just used to “go for it” and Plan B is a descent back into warm air, which with +5C or so at SFC would have been ok.

My notepad shows -1C at 7000ft so a bit of ice would have been very likely.

On the way back (not filmed) there was much more ice. I could have avoided it by climbing to ~FL150 but wanted to avoid the headwind up there, so I went up and down, eventually down to 6000ft over Germany (ignore the yellow speed line; it’s usually crap on fr24)

I got ~1cm in a few minutes, and while TKS removed it, it did so only at max flow. Without TKS I would have had to do the FL150 option and put up with maybe a 50kt headwind, for as long as it takes. I posted the wx data here.

Administrator

And finally here are some pics:

Wx was OK at Shoreham but some bad stuff was moving in quite fast from the west

Getting vectored around by London Control

Landing fuel on board forecast at 40 USG – actual was 37.6

Where all the trouble happens these days

The TB20 can take two pairs of skis and luggage for two, but no more by the time the TKS stuff is installed and filled up (50kg)

I am sure the locals will recognise this feature

“Frankfurt” Hahn

Getting colder on the ground, as the terrain rises a bit

Here I have the “ILS 15” set up on the KLN94, just to get the magenta line showing the localiser. Initially I get a vector through the localiser (they did tell me in advance)

Now going to intercept from the other side

On the ILS

Loads of room at LOWS… no idea why they are so tight on GA at weekends

Avgas bowser was there in minutes

Fuel totaliser calculation showed 183 litres; actual fill was 180, so all good

As far as I know, it was parked in this corner

A few pics from the “other stuff”

Departing on TITIG2A RNAV departure; the KLN94 doesn’t do RNAV sids/stars but has all the waypoints in the database

In flight catering beats low cost airlines today

20-30kt of headwind this time, and getting vectored to the south of Munich before getting a DCT ABTAL

Some icing coming up. I went up and down, eventually down to FL060 to get +1C, to avoid strong headwinds high up (VMC would have been found at ~FL150)

Finally on top, a few hundred nm later, FL100

Flying the RNAV 20 approach back home

This is the view at the 2200ft IAP platform!

VMC was found at 900ft (MDA is 800ft)

Almost nobody was flying all day, despite the tops at 1800ft with blue skies above.

Administrator

Amazing trip and pictures !

I thought Shoreham approaches were cancelled ?

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 24 Feb 21:46
LFOU, France
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message