Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory handling in Spain

Sometime ago, I read an English version of this text from the Spanish AOPA site, but I can’t find it anymore. Here is the Spanish version
Alternatively, does anybody has concise instructions on how to keep mandatory handling costs down when entering/leaving Spain towards non-Schengen countries?

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

There is no easy trick. There is a theoretical “minimum-service” handling @10eur mandated at AENA airports but it rarely works. The trick is to request “servicio de acompañamiento” from one of the non-GA handlers, and nothing more or different.

Easy way is to use entry airports with no mandatory handling, like LELO or LEBZ, and do your best to be as compliant as possible (hi-vis for all, no crossing apron but walk around edges, no cellphone use while refueling …) so as not to trigger future mandatory handling.

Last Edited by Antonio at 10 Mar 07:40
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Last time I tried it a LEPA I succeeded in contracting with Iberia (bound by the 10eur agreement, although they quoted 50 which I accepted). However, before departure the local GA handling mafia (free price) complained and then Iberia refused taking my money or my departure handling. So I ended up paying 150 eur standard fee (l got some discount for being local), plus 70 eur per person Security fee, plus over 150eur landing and varying fees, plus a reprimand from the Guardia Civil for “circumventing standard procedure”. I barely escaped pushback fee (taxiing out of a spot my aircraft could manoeuvre itself out of, or where I could personally push it back, but at a spot where it was mandatory, had been carefully assigned by the mafia on landing). I queried where such procedures are published, and the police pointed out to secret security manual…

What else could you expect at A place which is an island, has two airports, but only one of them has customs, and only one of them has avgas, and no, they are not the same…and the one with avgas closes at 1645lcl and does not serve avgas 1-3pm…

Last Edited by Antonio at 10 Mar 07:36
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Check the Menorca fly-in thread for some details.

The Spanish handlers have ways to circumvent the legal requirements.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks a lot!

Thus the procedure at an AENA-Airport would be:
-looking up at the AIP for a handler, pref. IBERIA
-asking them by email in English language for “servicio de acompañamiento” some 24h in advance
-after landing referring to the email answer (which I hopefully get)

Regarding LELO: Wikipedia gives LELO Logrono and an AENA-Website
Skydemon has no LELO, but LERJ Logrono there with Customs 48h PPR, opening up to 11h and from 17h LT, handling non mandatory, fueling “PPR CTC tel.”

So what is the status of the airport? What means “PPR CTC tel.”?

It really is a pity that the coastal airports (Granada, near Alicante, Valencia) have such prohibitive procedures

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Life becomes easier if you arrive from a Schengen country and you can land at various very inviting non-AENA airfields for instance LEAP Ampuriabrava, LECN Castellon. The good thing about Castellon is that should you overshoot you’ve at least probably already arrived at your final destination: the beach.

Intermediate stop in France?

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart wrote

The good thing about Castellon is that should you overshoot you’ve at least probably already arrived at your final destination: the beach.

Great, I have to visit this place!

EDDS , Germany

The idea is to fly:
EDWQ Bremen – eg LFLH Chalon s Saône

LFLH – Reus (handling mandatory, PPR) OR Grenada (handling mandatory, no PPR) OR Rioja (no handling, but 48h PPR Customs, PPR fur fuel for unknown time in advance, airport closes after 11h. So I have to arrive at 9h LT at the very latest, needs departing in France at 5:30-6:00 LT means wake up at 4h in the morning >:-[ )

Reus/Grenada/Rioja – GMFF Fes
and then further south.

Thus I need customs to leave Spain for Maroc (and I heard that the Marrocains don’t just let you enter their airspace if you don’t have a confirmed flight plan and the Spanish don’t let you out if you don’t have the flight plan confirmed by the Marco authorities). Apparently no way to “just fly there”

Last Edited by a_kraut at 10 Mar 10:09
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

a_kraut wrote:

Thus I need customs to leave Spain for Maroc (and I heard that the Marrocains don’t just let you enter their airspace if you don’t have a confirmed flight plan and the Spanish don’t let you out if you don’t have the flight plan confirmed by the Marco authorities). Apparently no way to “just fly there”

Admittedly, my experiences (I’ve flown between Spain and Morocco several times) are a bit dated, but you needed to:
- depart Spain from a port of entry
- file FP min 24h before departure (that was a Moroccon requirement)
- land at a PoE in Maroc
- return to Spain at a PoE (Malaga, Seville, Jerez, Granada in the South).

The return trip never required the 24h period, I always just filed the FP prior to departure from Maroc. Never had a problem.

Problem:
Point of entry means Custom. Custom means AENA-airport (few exceptions). AENA means mandatory handling. Mandatory handling means street crime.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message