Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Mandatory handling in Spain

If my earlier suggestion had been followed it would have led to this post and subsequent posts, which illustrate how it works down there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This may be of interest too. Not all AENA airports require handling.

Last Edited by terbang at 11 Mar 21:31
EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

@a_kraut wrote:

Point of entry means Custom. Custom means AENA-airport (few exceptions). AENA means mandatory handling. Mandatory handling means street crime.

Mandatory handling also means you don’t have to struggle with unorganised (regarding GA flights) airports, it means you can be shure that the local and formal regulations are applied and looking to Granada – the airport we have used to fly to Morroco – it means they picked us up at the breakfast restaurant and gave us the perfect service until departure, including bringing forward our flightplan for two hours.

So no need to give so unfriendly generalising comments about mandatory handling.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

So no need to give so unfriendly generalising comments about mandatory handling

The problem is being mandatory. We are forced into taking a service at whatever price is demanded.

There are some instances where the service is delivered at a cost where it makes sense. But in most instances, it isn’t, and we should have the choice not to use it.

Biggin Hill

What did you pay for being picked up at the breakfast restaurant?

At eg Cannes, they are very friendly too – for free.

Last Edited by a_kraut at 12 Mar 13:44
Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

@a_kraut

Nothing. They saw us eating there and offered to come back later to bring us to the field. Just friendly guys. We met them two days before on arrival so they recognised us.

EDDS , Germany

eddsPeter wrote:

@a_kraut

Nothing.

Peter, speaking from experience, that is unfortunately the (extremely rare!) exception. GA handling employees at AENA airports are trained to get as much from the customer as possible, and their contractual relationship with the airport is based on that.

The airport needs a handler, but there is no good business for it at smaller airports. So they trick convince some agent into doing so at free prices so the agent will have some control on their own revenue. The agent will anyway struggle to survive at those smaller airports.

At bigger ones, they are just milking the cow. The difference is at smaller ones there is zero competition (ie one single agent), at bigger ones there is at least some competition, but they have enough traffic that they think they can still charge whatever they want. At places like Ibiza in summer, business is limited by airport capacity, so while that is the case, they can still charge as much as they want and the business will not see a negative impact!

100alas at LELL was a nice exception, 60EUR incl a ride into and from the city, which is why I always used to hire them despite not being mandatory, but they went bust!

Last Edited by Antonio at 14 Mar 18:49
Antonio
LESB, Spain

My results so far (need customs and immigration to exit and entry to/from a non-Schengen-country. Range 550NM maaax. Route roughly NW Germany – France – Spain – Maroc)

LEAS Asturias Customs, parking PPR, no mandatory handling <3500kg
LEBG – BURGOS Customs on request, GA no mandatory handling <5000kg
LERJ – LOGROÑO Customs PPR 48h!, no mandatory handling <10TM
LEPP – PAMPLONA Customs O/R, Fuel tel, no mandatory handling <3500kg

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

I don’t know LEAS nor LERJ, but LEPP and LEBG are OK. You’ll feel like the ‘king of the hill’ having a big apron probably all by yourself. Note that there was a 100LL availability problem when we did a little EuroGA fly-in a few years ago. So for any airport (given the small demand) I would check. By ‘check’ meaning being explicit and maybe even mentioning that you’ve heard of the above unfortunate history.

I don’t hope that a big headwind would make the leg to Tanger (for instance) impossible from Northern Spanish airports though.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

A search on LEPP and LEBG finds past fly-in threads with the details.

Burgos LEBG ran out of avgas (they had hardly any left to start with) despite knowing well in advance of the fly-in

At Pamplona LEPP the fuel guy told me “cash only” after I asked him about AIR BP but he didn’t understand the words AIR BP, so I borrowed the cash from Aart, and then saw Aart paying with his AIR BP card

These, and other, Spanish airports have very little traffic and seem to be run as employment schemes for ~50 people in each case (counting the cars parked there). They were built with EU grants (with a percentage to the local politicians) to stimulate the local economy but it didn’t appear to work.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message