Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Advice for trip south of Paris to Venice LIPV in VFR

Hello,
I plan a trip with my plane to VENICE LIDO from Moret Episy (LFPU south Paris) probably in this month of May 2019.

But I think the trip will not be on a very direct routing

My wife does not want to cross the Alps for fear of flying over the mountains (she does not fly with me when I land on the Altiport de Megeve).

The IFR course without O2 (if I force my wife to put a nasal cannula … I’m afraid to find myself alone!) limits myself to the FL 100/110 (cheating on regulations)) with a very important detour via East of Austria.

I am therefore obliged to go down in IFR, towards the South East of France, then to cancel IFR and fly VFR for a routing by the Côte d’Azur and the region of Genoa to continue on Venice Lido while flying ideally in level of flight.

I read all the posts of Euro GA, including, and I understand that transits in TMA are done by WPt IFR (which is convenient with my Bonanza GTN 650 GNS 430 A / P GPSS).

I would still like to have confirmation from those who practice the VFR in Italy and advice on the type of VFR digital map useful to cross the country (when I fly VFR in France I use only Air navigation (map type ICAO France, but free maps for other countries showing the WPt).

Thank for any advise.

Adls
LFPU, France

Flew from Croatia to Cuneo LIMZ and from there to Gap. If you want to avoid the alps, fly via Monaco, Nice, Cannes. Alt was 1000 ft in northern Italy and I passed just south of LIDO. Every crossing of controlled airspace was from VRP to VRP. Sometimes they use the local designations, but accept “November” etc. I used Skydemon for navigation which displays both local as well as generic designations.

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Hello
Thank you for advice.
I have often flown French Riviera 1000 ft over sea….So, regarding your post, it will be low VFR, VRP to VRP for Italian part of the trip.
I will consider SkyDemon which seem more accurate and complete ( with aviaportolano) than Air Navigation.
Best regards

Adls
LFPU, France

Why cancel IFR ? […] Edit: after checks it seems difficult to stay around FL100 and IFR over southern France.
Have you considered taking the detour over northern Switzerland/southern Germany and then valleys near Lugano/Bolzano/Innsbrück? autorouter finds routes via ZUE or KPT for example, and it’s shorter than the southern route, but you will need better ceiling.

Last Edited by Arne at 03 Apr 18:30
ESMK, Sweden

It would be nice to know at what altitude your wife draws the line with “Alps” or “mountains”. Does the Massif Centrale (dis)qualify?
Arne wrote:

and then valleys near Lugano/Bolzano/Innsbrück?

Almost all valley routes through the central Alps cross a pass at some point that requires flight elevation over 7000’ amid much high higher peaks. The Brenner pass between Innsbruck and Bolzano is 4500’ and with peaks either side of over 10k I wouldn’t want to cross it at less than 6000’.

Continuing the northern Switzerland/southern Germany route a bit further east allows an IFR Alps crossing minimum altitude of around FL80 down into Slovenia. But you will need to go a fair ways east to get something south at less than FL100, probably almost to Vienna. After ZUE KPT you’ll likely need TRAUN SNU RADLY ILB or something similar. From Salzburg south is still quite high.

LSZK, Switzerland

The Brenner pass between Innsbruck and Bolzano is 4500’

This must be a dumb Q but is there really a route through the “middle” of the Alps at just above 4500ft? I do have topo data but it would take me a while to check the profile.

I thought the lowest level at which one can fly, VFR and 1000ft above the ground, is about 9000ft.

The Massif Centrale is of a similar height in places but of course one can fly around it.

From Paris to LIPV I would just go down to Cannes (avoiding the Massif Centrale) and then turn left to Venice, stopping for fuel as necessary. A TB20 can do that in one leg and I have done that route a number of times – example – when the Alps were covered in bad wx.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I checked the Austria ICAO chart before posting, and the Brenner pass shows an altitude of 4500’ (ground). I consider 1000’ AGL minimum for crossing, depending upon wx and surroundings. Given the 10k peaks on both sides, I’d want 6000’ ASL for crossing the Brenner in good weather, higher if wx is even a bit iffy. But 9000’ is definitely not necessary.

Agree that the southern route is the most reliable given the option of following the shore at low altitude, especially if travelling VFR per thread title. Wx over the Apennines needs to be good or else a winding route north around them from Genoa to the Po plains is needed.

LSZK, Switzerland

Bonjour à tous

J’avais projeté un voyage aérien avec mon BEECHCRAFT Bonanza en direction de Venise Lido LIPV (bien que mon épouse eu préféré y aller par avion de ligne).

Je remercie ceux qui m’ont prévenu des particularités de vol VFR en Italie (zone de MILAN et VRP)

J’ai dû attendre jusqu’en cette troisieme semaine de juin le beau temps.

Ce mardi 18 juin 2019 la prévision est bonne, je réserve sur BOOKING au dernier moment l’Hotel Splendid Starhotels dans Venise à 7h30 LT (depuis plusieurs semaines je vérifiais les chambres disponibles dans les quelques hotels répondant à mes critères).

Départ VFR à 9H00 LT de mon aerodrome Moret Episy LFPU (sud de Fontainebleau /Melun) en direction initiale de VALENCE.

Comme je l’avais dit dans un post, le trajet par les cols des Alpes (le Brenner ou le Gothard de préférence) était refusé par mon épouse qui ne voulait pas de montagne.

De toute façon le problème ne se posait pour ce 18 juin car cela ne semblait pas faisable dans les Alpes (et en plus pas d’O2 pour monter plus haut)

la route passait donc par la valllée du Rhone, soit 600 NM, avec une escale technique Essence à VALENCE LFLU après 1H37 de vol puis j’ai activé mon FPL au décollage de VALENCE, routing LFLU DGN LIMJ LIMG LIMP LIPV (via PZS4 et PZS3).

Un ami dont le FK14 est garé à côté de mon avion, et qui est Captain Air France, m’avait prévenu d’arriver avec le maximum d’essence À LIPV car il n’ y a qu’une piste en service actuellement à LIPZ (l’autre est en réfection) et en cas d’arrivée par le Nord l’attente peut être très longue !

Pour ma part, le problème ne se posait pas vraiment en arrivant par le sud de la lagune….

Après le décollage de VALENCE je suis monté FL75 vers DGN où mon épouse a remarqué que cela n’était pas aussi plat que ce que je lui avais promis !

Passées les nuées de parapente (notamment après DGN) dont certains volaient au milieu des vallées parfois à moins de 1000’ sous nous, le plafond descendis, accrochant d’abord les sommets encore enneigés puis tout l’horizon devant et le temps de rentrer dans un cumulus j’obliquais vers SAN REMO pour rejoindre le trajet côtier assez brumeux, descente 6000 ‘ mandatory à GENOVA (LIMG) puis direction PARME survolant les basses montagnes de la LIGURE.

MILAN me demanda de descendre à 3000 ‘ en passant par les VRP de la CTR de PARME et nous avons fini le trajet dans un temps toujours brumeux et chaud ++ avec un petit vent de face s’additionnant à la consommation du Bonanza à ces altitudes.

Arrivée magique à VENISE LIDO (Nicelli) LIPV en auto-information après 2H36 de vol, circuit rapproché en 05 ravitaillement et garé à la manche à air car, restant 4 jours le parking devait être libre pour recevoir le 21 juin des DC3.

Marche penible sous un soleil bien chaud avec la valise à roulette et le sac à dos pendant plus d’une demi heure pour rejoindre la gare de Vaporetto et finir déshydraté à l’Hotel ; 4 jours chauds mais magnifiques (ballade dans les canaux, diners sur les canaux avec de bons vins Chardonnay et ballades sur le grand canal ou omnibus en Vaporetto.

Le depart de vendredi 21 est avancé au matin en raison des orages prévus dans l’après midi sur la zone Massif Central Rhône Lyon et on rejoins le petit port de Nicelli Lido par un TAXI BOAT qui nous prend au ponton de l’hôtel…la classe ! Trajet super dans les dédales de petits canaux pour rejoindre la lagune par l’hôpital et on file vers le LIDO.

Un des des DC3 est arrivé mais les 3 autres, venant de FRANCE, ne passeront sans doute pas (je confirme)..

Décollage 05 et sortie PZS3 puis PZS4 pour bien nous faire éviter à 1500’ les arrivées sur LIPZ…on ne pourra monter que trop loin vers 4000’ puis enfin 6000’ max après PARME.

Trajet vers GENOVA SAVONE ALBENGA et passage frontière à IVLAM (vintimille) direction NIZ et FAYENCE pour ravitailler en essence à AIX EN PROVENCE LFMA après 2H25 de vol de beau temps.

Décollage de LFMA pour une directe vers LFPU au FL65 et après MONTELIMAR le temps sur notre gauche sur le Massif Central est sombre (orages sur Clermont Ferrand) et les cumulus sont évidemment sur ma route m’obligeant dès SAINT ETIENNE à des contournements de plus en plus hasardeux et après avoir eu le dernier METAR de Saint YAN je descends au FL45 avec de la bruine et ensuite je finis apres 1H58 de vol sous des cumulus et du soleil (les zones Massif Central et lyonnais seront en “VIGILANCE ORANGE” pour orages à partir de 17H00.

A noter qu’à l’aller comme au retour (LFLU LIPV puis LIPV LFMA) les FPL ont été annoncés “activés” par les deux TWR et, pourtant les differentes fréquences me demandaient mon routing et j’ai fini par comprendre qu’ils n’avaient jamais été transmis à personne ! La tour de LFMA me l’a d’ailleurs confirmé lorsque j’ai demandé confirmation de la cloture du FPL…Il m’a été répondu qu’il n’y avait aucune trace de FPL.

Je confirme qu’en ITALIE il est illusoire sur ce trajet de raisonner en niveau de vol et calculer performances et consommations, que des VRP peuvent être demandés (PARME à l’aller) ; les fréquences de NICE et MILAN sont quasi inaudibles au FL75..et que l’essence au LIDO est chère mais l’arrivée notamment par le SUD, l’atterrissage en 05 et l’aérodrome valent le détour sans parler de Venise !

Adls
LFPU, France

noter qu’à l’aller comme au retour (LFLU LIPV puis LIPV LFMA) les FPL ont été annoncés “activés” par les deux TWR et, pourtant les differentes fréquences me demandaient mon routing et j’ai fini par comprendre qu’ils n’avaient jamais été transmis à personne ! La tour de LFMA me l’a d’ailleurs confirmé lorsque j’ai demandé confirmation de la cloture du FPL…Il m’a été répondu qu’il n’y avait aucune trace de FPL.

How did you file these flightplans?

Note that in Italy (and in many other countries), enroute ATC stations / FIS will never have your flightplan details, even if it has been filed and distributed correctly.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hello
I use AUTOROUTER for IFR and it does all the job of preparing the flight that I need and I have just to post the FPL and receive the acknowledge in return by TELEGRAM.

Great APP that a lot of us are using.

The VALENCE TWR has the FPL and confirmes to me at Take Off that it was well activated…however, PROVENCE and NICE didn’t seem to heard about this FPL.

PADOUE recall me to cancel this FPL after landing LIDO LIPV because TWR was closed during midday and I phone at 39 02 71020 019 were a charming female voice confirm FPL was closed but dont seem to have any marks of the call sign nor the FPL…so, as you say, this FPL was really activated.

At take off LIPV, TWR was on duty and we speak about activating the FPL and it seem to be OK but this was associated with the fact I specified PZS3 and PZS4 at 1500’ to leave LIPV and that’s was really interest the TWR and they call to contact PADOUE at PZS3…so was the FPL activated or not, by LIPV or PADOUE control area ?…and the same scenario as the coming flight.

Then AIX en PROVENCE TWR tell me he cannot closed the FPL because he don’t received that FPL and NICE control as well..

So I’am not sur of anything but the main thing his, of course, to close with ATC or PHONE after landing.

It his so easy in IFR or Z FPL when you get your clearance : at each ATC contact tou say the magic words “GENEVA, D-ENNR, hello, LEVEL 110 on course to LIRKO”…

I don’t use VFR FPL in france and perhaps everything was OK, no INCERFA, ALERTFA or DETRESFA at all…but never the more it was a nice flight !

Adls
LFPU, France
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message