Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for Norway, Finland and Sweden

I plan to reach North Cape with friends from France at the beginning of June.
After reading some posts, I would like some more tips.

We will fly IFR and VFR, we plan to go to north via Norway west coast until Honningsvag ENHV and go back South via Finland and Sweden.

I have 2 questions for which I did’nt find responses for these 3 country :
- Is it possible to land at an airport where ATC is closed ? (as we can do in France)
- Does VFR flight (not crossing boundaries) need filling a flight plan ?

Thank you for your help.

Is it possible to land at an airport where ATC is closed ? (as we can do in France)

Sometimes depends on the country. And somwtimes even the single Airport. So better check case by case.
But generally, in these countries: YES. An operating control tower is not a prerequisite for privat flight ops. But there may be other gotchas, such as: getting in and out of the aiport (same as in France).

Does VFR flight (not crossing boundaries) need filling a flight plan ?

Generally not. Norway (and possibly Sweden) however require (or at least strongly recommend) VFR flightplans in certain remote areas. I think Bergen airport also requires flightplans for VFR ops.

Added: The Norway VFR Guide is superb reading.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Apr 13:05
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Went to Nordkapp in 2010, VFR from Italy in a C172.

Went up and down via Sweden / Finland. I can’t recall exactly but I think we always filed a flight plan.

Definite must stop is Rovaniemi: have them put the father Xmas stamp on your logbook.

Arriving at Honningsvag

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

LimaVictor wrote:

Is it possible to land at an airport where ATC is closed ?

Yes and no in Norway. You need a special card to use the airport when it is closed. You can get the card here. This card is only valid for Avinor airports, there are lots of others that are open 24/7 (or more like 16/7 ) I really have no idea if foreigners can get this card, but you can ask. It has nothing to do with flying, it’s all about security regulations at Avinor airports. Outside opening hours, only VFR is allowed. The larger Avinor airports are open 24/7, thus no card is necessary.

LimaVictor wrote:

Does VFR flight (not crossing boundaries) need filling a flight plan ?

No, you only need a FP when crossing country boarders, to be reasonable sure a rescue team will find you, and when flying in controlled airspace (VFR or IFR). It can be a full FP or a shortened FP. When flying cross country, I always file a FP these days (almost every flight I do in fact). It will ease the job of an eventual rescue team tremendously, and as a long time member of the air ambulance, I don’t want to make life difficult them. They can’t rescue you if they can’t find you. FPs are very easy to file using IPPC. Create a user and file away, VFR and IFR, and you can make templates etc. I would NOT use SD or anything like that to file a FP, only with IPPC can you be sure that your flight is properly handled all the way.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LimaVictor wrote:

We will fly IFR and VFR, we plan to go to north via Norway west coast until Honningsvag ENHV and go back South via Finland and Sweden.

My replies concern Sweden.

I have 2 questions for which I did’nt find responses for these 3 country :

- Is it possible to land at an airport where ATC is closed ? (as we can do in France)

It depends on the individual airport. Check the airport operating hours in AIP/NOTAM. One thing to watch out for, though, is that even if you may use it when ATS is closed it may not be easy or even possible to enter or exit the airport without help. Check with the airport or the local aeroclub.

- Does VFR flight (not crossing boundaries) need filling a flight plan ?

Apart from the explicit requirements in SERA (e.g. you need a flight plan for night VFR except traffic circuit flights) there is only one situation which is relevant in practise. When flying in the “Mountainous area” (600545N 0123000E – along the Swedish/Norwegian and Swedish/Finnish border to 662430N 0234000E– 643500N 0184000E – 623200N 0154000E – 610000N 0143300E – 600545N 0123000E) you need to file a flight plan for search and rescue purposes. (As an alternative, you may ask any person to follow up on your flight and call for search and rescue in case you are lost – but filing a flight plan is probably easer in your situation.)

Technically speaking you must also file a flight plan for flights in Traffic Information Zones/Areas (TIZ/TIA), but as they are also RMZ in practise you will pass the necessary flight plan details by radio to the AFIS operator.

Coming from Honnigsvåg you may want to cross the rather large restricted area ES R01 in Northern Sweden. That is frequently possible but you must file a flight plan. Check AIP-Sweden.

Oh yes, if you plan on flying from/to Gotland to/from the Swedish mainland, you need a flight plan as you are crossing the Swedish border twice – much of the flight will be over international waters.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Apr 15:23
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Avinor sells a week pass that is valid at almost all their airports (except Gardermoen) and allows you to land at any of their airports without paying landing and parking fees. You could use it to fly up North via Bergen and through Norway. I would file flight plans for each flight. It is so easy to do.

When visiting Bergen and if you love seafood, go visit this restaurant. The boat leaves from the harbour in the centre of Bergen and it is a very nice experience (I loved it).

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 17 Apr 16:00
EDLE, Netherlands

AeroPlus wrote:

Avinor sells a week pass that is valid at almost all their airports (except Gardermoen) and allows you to land at any of their airports without paying landing and parking fees

If you are a member of an aero club, (AOPA will do), then parking is free on all Avinor airports. Your aircraft must also be private or owned by a club. If it’s owned by a company, you have to pay. There are no landing fees in Norway, only take off fee Seriously, that is what it say, and a weekly card is probably best if staying for a week. But do remember, there are lots of other airports than Avinor airports. Usually they are 600-1000m, perfect for GA.

Ha, just read this. Regarding parking charges. As of January 2019, there apparently are no parking charges anymore for GA aircraft with MTOW less than 2730 kg. From here.

Avinor introduces an automatic invoicing system for GA parking in January 2019. The system registers aircraft registration, arrival time, off-block time and MTOW. GA aircraft with MTOM 2730 Kg or below are exempt from parking charges.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Thank you all for your responses.
I will file flight plans also for my friends who will fly VFR.

About the week pass, where can I see if an airport is an Avinor one ?

LimaVictor wrote:

About the week pass, where can I see if an airport is an Avinor one ?

IPPC That’s where you file flight plans also + AIP, just about everything really. Please note, not all these airports are Avinor, but 90% maybe. Most of the others are not seen. You can see them by hooking off “landing sites”, but then you also get up all heli-only sites. For info on some of the others, there is this MyPPR. Here you get info and PPR about about 15? of the non Avinor sites. Then there is Norskeflyplasser with every little strip there is. It is currently down for refurbishment, but hopefully up again before the summer.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I did this trip about a year ago from Stockholm. You need to plan carefully in Norway to make sure that you can get 100LL when you need it.

I absolutely recommend you to get an AirBP carnet, it will sometimes be the only way to get fuel at a norwegian airport (at least without hassle). As far as I know these airports have 100LL in northern Norway:
Bodø
Bardufoss
Tromsø
Alta
Lakselv/Banak

Fuel availability is also a problem in northern Finland and Sweden. I suggest that you check it thoroughly and at some places the air club will have have it even though the AIP does not show it.

The trip is awesome and you will have a great time!

Last Edited by Fly310 at 17 Apr 17:42
ESSZ, Sweden
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message