Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for Norway, Finland and Sweden

LeSving wrote:

However, in Norway the tax is linked to road use. When using it in an aircraft (or boat for that matter), we get the tax back.

Aha. Ok, if we could get VAT back on MOGAS for aircraft use (which I don’t think we can as the legislation saying that AVGAS is free from VAT actually uses the term “aviation gasoline” in Swedish) then it would be half the price of AVGAS in Sweden as well.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A couple of thoughts to add:

If landing or departing out of hours or weekend, it’s worth checking if the flying club has ‘possession’ of the field. Departing one Swedish airfield at the weekend, arranged by ATC who provided for access to the gate, I was accosted by a heavily uniformed gold braided gentleman who advised that I needed ‘permission’ of the flying club to depart. I was made an ‘honorary’ member of the club for the occasion!

Regarding the mountainous area of Sweden, there are regulations regarding survival equipment and markings. This involved adding red flashes which Sweden AIS insisted these were mandatory and they remain on the aircraft to this day. Arriving at Kiruna, I noticed that few other aircraft had these markings. ATC said “oh no, they don’t bother”. Hmmm.

It’s right about the air BP card. The alternative is begging favours from locals. However Rocket Route did promote an Air BP payment scheme, of which I was the first attempted user at Kjeller, where it failed totally! Perhaps they’ve got it fixed now, but I don’t see how it can work without a card.

Don’t get the wrong idea – these countries are a joy to fly in!

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

You “need” customs even if you come in a paraglider, or walk for that matter. Norway is not part of EU. But, we are part of Schengen, so no immigration if coming from a Schengen country.

You don’t need to arrive at an International airport with customs on duty according to this document

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Aveling wrote:

A couple of thoughts to add:

If landing or departing out of hours or weekend, it’s worth checking if the flying club has ‘possession’ of the field. Departing one Swedish airfield at the weekend, arranged by ATC who provided for access to the gate, I was accosted by a heavily uniformed gold braided gentleman who advised that I needed ‘permission’ of the flying club to depart. I was made an ‘honorary’ member of the club for the occasion!

Some airports are PPR outside regular hours with PPR being granted by the local flying club. In that case the club assumes responsibility for briefing you on procedures, getting you landside etc. It sounds like ATC gave you permission without liaising with the club. In that case I can understand that there was some confusion.

Regarding the mountainous area of Sweden, there are regulations regarding survival equipment and markings. This involved adding red flashes which Sweden AIS insisted these were mandatory and they remain on the aircraft to this day. Arriving at Kiruna, I noticed that few other aircraft had these markings. ATC said “oh no, they don’t bother”. Hmmm.

Since part-NCO came into effect these rules became void for EASA aircraft. (They still apply for annex I aircraft.) Unfortunately AIP-Sweden is not very clear about this. It mentions the Mountainous area and refers to AIP GEN 1.5 and Swedish CAA regulations for equipment details. GEN 1.5 doesn’t say anything at all about it anymore and the Swedish regulation in question starts with a passage stating it doesn’t apply to EASA aircraft. So don’t worry! On the other hand NCO.IDE.A.180 certainly applies!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

pmh wrote:

You don’t need to arrive at an International airport with customs on duty according to this document

No you don’t.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Regarding fuel.

A dude just developed a web app for fuel prices. It can be found here. It’s optimized for phone/pad, but works OK enough on PC as well. At the moment it has fuel availability and fuel prices on all public airports in Norway by the looks of it. With time, private airports will be included, as well as Sweden and all of Europe eventually. More info like landing charges and whatever other charges will also be included.

From what I can see, the prices are with all taxes etc included.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Looks good. Not really useful for prices (they are very uniform in Norway) but for giving an overview of availbility.

As always with these private projects, the problem is that very likely, that „dude“ will lose interest in keeping it updated, and then it will be worthless.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes and updating it is a real matter : for example at this time there is no Avgas at Tromso (by Notam, from April 9 til May 31)…

Last Edited by LimaVictor at 04 May 07:16

The app is just released, you can read about it here (Norwegian). The developer is an IT guy, who likes long cross country flights in a SR22.

There is a background to it, which makes it easier to understand what it is. The last year prices on AVGAS has skyrocketed, increased by 30 % or more. At the same time, getting prices up front have been impossible, and there have been large variation from place to place. There has been lots of fuss about this. A couple of years ago BP took over aviation retail from Statoil, and AFSN took over from SHELL. That’s the reason for this mess, BP in particular. At any airport, there is only one pump, and if both companies are represented, that one pump serves both companies. The same fuel, from the same pump, is sold by two different companies. They have different prices, and when you get to the pump, you have no idea what the price for each of them is without searching the web for some obscure web site somewhere. According to people who have been in contact with BP and AFSN, it’s just bla bla bla.

So this guy made this app, mainly to easily see which one of the companies had the cheapest fuel, and to see what the current price is at different places. It’s some automated web “thing” that just grabs the most current info it finds, and presents it nicely in that app. The plan is to gradually increase the scope to Europe and private fields, and include landing fees, and FBO cost etc.

boscomantico wrote:

As always with these private projects, the problem is that very likely, that „dude“ will lose interest in keeping it updated, and then it will be worthless.

The app is free, it’s worth exactly zero Anyway, one dude, or a huge company, it doesn’t seem to make any difference whatsoever about the longevity of a piece of software. I treat all of them as fresh food, soon to be made obsolete by a multitude of different reasons.

LimaVictor wrote:

Yes and updating it is a real matter : for example at this time there is no Avgas at Tromso (by Notam, from April 9 til May 31)…

It is fully automated web “thing”, and it is no replacement for NOTAM. It tells the price only. Anyway, Bardufoss is just a short hop from Tromsø, they should have fuel en mass.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Does anybody know whether I need a customs airport when coming from Norway to Finland? I’m planning a trip to Nordkapp at the end of July, with last stop in Finland EFPA . I understand that ENHV is an OK as entry point to Norway, but can I get back through EFPA or I need some Finavia airport like Ivalo?
EETU, Estonia
Sign in to add your message