Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tour de Bretagne -- airspace?

I’m planning a trip to Brittany over the Easter days, as the weather looks quite favorable at least until Sunday. The idea is to fly to Granville (via Loire valley) for a cultural bathroom stop. Then onward to Granville. Obligatory Mont Saint-Michel visit, perhaps brief landing in Avranches (special landing permit obtained), and then the part that worries me the most:

I want to fly from Granville along the coastline against the clock to Belle-Île (so westbound to Ouessant, then southeast again). I’d file a flight plan and stay close to the coast, and in ATC contact.

However, looking at the airspace, I’m wondering about the following questions:
1. Would you go uncontrolled (so below 1500 ft / 2500 ft) to be more flexible and see more, or try to get a clearance in the controlled airspace above?
2. All these danger areas off the coast are for military low flying?
3. There’s a restricted area LFR154 just Southwest of Brest which blocks the route. Is it realistic to get a clearance through it?

Thanks,

Michael

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

1. It will be no problem to get the clearance in the controlled airspace there. Just ask for it.
2. Yes, but not only low flying, but on Sundays and weekends in general they are not active. And still if they are active in parts of the week, you may recieve a clearance to cross. It depends on the actual situation and the requested altitude to cross.
3. LFR 154 might be block, but to avoid just pass it behind the Presque île de Crozon. But during all of our last flights we where cleared to cross without any poblem.
We are flying in the region often, especially coming from Quimper to Île Ouessant.
Enjoy your trip.

EDDS , Germany

If you want to land in Avranches, you need to call the flying club there the day before to know the runway conditions (2 weeks ago, only the hard part was usable, which means 400m long by 10m wide, quite limiting).
If the weather is good, there will be quite a few airplanes flying around, so it is probably a good thing to be in contact with someone.
Very scenic flight along the coast!

ENVA, Norway

Thanks for the tips, Peter and WW&W. I’ll post a little trip report here when back.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message