Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Shoreham EGKA to Rouen LFOP, April 2019

10 Posts

A meetup of some “usual suspects” from here

Nice weather although hazy, with no horizon; basically instrument flying across the sea. About 40 mins in the air.

Initially I asked for ILS22 and a circle to land to 04 which was the active runway. So I got sent to ROU which is the right waypoint for that. Then ATC asked me whether I can do the RNAV04 and I said yes. I did this very clearly (had a trainee ATCO in the RHS!) but they obviously didn’t understand anything I said because they still sent me to ROU. I queried this and ATC said I asked for the ILS, so I told them again and got a DCT ELSED which was right for RNAV04. I guess the only ICAO terminology for changing one’s mind is to just say another “request”… however sometimes one doesn’t do this when ATC speak apparently good English, as this guy did.

The area is really scenic

Looks like airlines used to go there… now it is another almost-graveyard airport, with just 1 man working there, taking the €17 landing fee

EuroGA leaflets left as always

For this, I brought the Pentax K1 and the Zeiss 18mm

Food was great but poor customer service in this case at the “Paul” restaurant

Some $50M Romanian-registered hardware (also a “little” Embraer Legacy, presumably for the lawyer in case he gets assasinated )

Return was an “omnidirectional departure to ROU” and I had filed VFR from the coast, to avoid the horrid routings

No sign of the “24hr PPR” police presence at any time

A fair few GA planes turned up too, some UK and some from France, and there was some difficulty with taxis, which are €40 each way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great pics ! Sorry to have missed the trip.

40€ the taxi trip !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 21 Apr 09:35
LFOU, France

5 of us so two taxis… There was a cockup on that too, with others (who arrived after us) having grabbed the second taxi, leaving one of us stuck there for another hour or so.

Administrator

By strange routings …. this is what I got from Lille on the way back …

That is some Eurocontrol code

ld hl, 0

loop: dec hl
ld a, h
or l
tell pilot to wait
jr nz, loop

Administrator

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Peter!
Z80 forever… :-)

EHLE, Netherlands

I have just done a quick google and it really looks like there are no airlines flying to Rouen. Is that correct?

Administrator

There are some flights, from Hop (regularish) but also occasional charters.

Once I was right on schedule for Toussus LFPN (I was already going to arrive well into the hour you are allowed to land (with derogation) after atc closes) and an airliner had just arrived and was doing customs, so I asked nicely and they let me not shutdown / get out of the plane, and taxi back to the runway

@quatrelle was not that the sort of “for radar ident turn right 360 degs” ?

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

The truth is that I nodded off and that was the result

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message