Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Milano/Genoa CTR IFR Transit

I’m planning a flight from Calvi to Bern on a Y flightplan in the hope the weather will allow a GAFOR route transit. Autorouter has generated an IFR plan to ARLES, then would plan on VFR (start of GAFOR route S45 before routing Visp, Gemmi Pass, Reichenbach to Bern). No oxygen so would be flying at FL100 or thereabouts for both IFR and VFR sections. The resulting IFR route goes pretty much straight through the Milan overhead. Does anyone have any experience of IFR transits at these levels in the Milano/Genova area, and any suggestions for making my life (and ATC’s!) any easier? IMG_0078_pdf
IMG_0079_pdf

EGKR, United Kingdom

I have no recent experience of the two routes you have there but I have repeatedly found ATC to be insisting on FL140 minimum when crossing the N Italy under IFR, in the west to east direction.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

From experience, the tricky part on your route is Nice approach, which you are well clear off on that route, hence the little dog leg after departure. My experience with Milano is that at FL100 they are pretty relaxed. This is on weekends, I don’t know what it’s like on weekdays. @boscomantico might know best?

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Thanks Peter. It does seem as though there is less facility for lower level E/W crossings – hopefully I’ll be able to report back on the levels of success N/S!

EGKR, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I have repeatedly found ATC to be insisting on FL140 minimum when crossing the N Italy under IFR, in the west to east direction.

I always tell them (when IMC) I am happy to go at my own minima, they claim their radar minima are at FL 140. (Yet they know exactly where you are when at Fl 090 ;-)

Last Edited by LFHNflightstudent at 13 May 19:39
LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Thank you for the input guys – we’ll see what they can offer!

EGKR, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message