Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sampling Umbrian Grass: Alfina TR01(near Orvieto) and Castiglione Del Lago PG02 (on Lake Trasimeno)

The discussion over the use of grass Venice Lido LIPV by retractables got me thinking: some of you may be missing out by passing up viable grass fields.

In our Morane we recently visited two 800 meter grass airfields in Umbria that are well maintained (smoother than LIPV because less heavily used) and could be safely used by the retractable crowd. Obstacles are not a major factor. Neither has AVGAS, but Perugia LIRZ which does is close by.

Alfina (which has active gliding weekends) is PPR, but a phone call a few days ahead of arrival was sufficient. The Aerodrome was not attended my wife and I landed. It’s beautifully sited, but a taxi to Orvieto will run you 50 EUR.

Pictures of Alfina (taken from the approach end of 36):

Castiglione Del Lago (hosting a major fly in May 10-12) is a lovely 15-20 minute walk to the town:

Touring by air is a wonderful experience in these parts. The aerial photo is of Orvieto. The Etruscan habit of building on hilltops with steep escarpments is vividly apparent from above. It is easy to identify the most ancient sites based on their topographic preferences.

Tököl LHTL

Thanks for sharing those, good to know.
There is another nicely maintained one: LIKE, 800M of grass. I’ll wait there on Saturday if you care to pick me up (just kidding).

always learning
LO__, Austria

WhiskeyPapa, I believe I heard you departing Saturday morning from Castiglione, around 11.00. I was on long final.

Last Edited by AfricanEagle at 12 May 22:09
Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

I departed at 8:43 UTC (10:43 local)…
There was a plane on final??? :)
See you at Lido!

Tököl LHTL
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message