Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Guernsey Nightstop

Hi All,

Planned on flying to Guernsey on 28th, returning 29th. Hoping for some IMC so I can get my practice in, but a few questions and was hoping someone would point me in the right direction.

1) Routing wise, looking to fly Q41 at about 5000ft. Understandably this takes me via Southampton Class D, in addition to filling the FPL should I ring them up or just use the NATS pre-note tool?
2) Looking to shoot the NDB into Alderney on arrival into CI airspace before landing on the ILS into Guernsey. Should I phone Alderney ATC the day before letting them know, or would it be best to do with Jersey Control on the day?
3) Is it handling at Guernesy, if so what’s the cost for just over 24 hours parking? Looking to land 28th by lunchtime, depart late afternoon in time for the Europa League Final.

Cheers

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Can’t answer for point 1 and 2. Seems strange that you need to ask for transit on an IFR FPL but I don’t know this stuff.

For handling, go to ASG, they are well organized and helpful. Their answer to my email was (last August for a 172) :
No ppr required
Gar form can be filled out on arrival [coming from France]
Landing fee combined 25.96 [GBP]
Parking free for 24hrs then 15.00
Handling 10.00
Extra 10.00 arriving before and after 8 AM

Enjoy !

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 May 17:02
LFOU, France

1. Not required for Southampton Class D.
2. You speak to Jersey Control initially (10 miles before the boundary), they will transfer you to Guernsey Approach who then pass you onto Alderney Tower. You can let Guernsey Approach know what you want to do and/or Alderney Tower. They are very helpful.
3. Go to ASG for handling, they are very good. 01481 263965 or [email protected]

My last landing/handling fee was 36.86 for landing and 6 hours parking in a 3100lb aircraft.

Have fun

EGLK, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Can’t answer for point 1 and 2. Seems strange that you need to ask for transit on an IFR FPL but I don’t know this stuff.

For handling, go to ASG, they are well organized and helpful. Their answer to my email was (last August for a 172) :
No ppr required
Gar form can be filled out on arrival [coming from France]
Landing fee combined 25.96 [GBP]
Parking free for 24hrs then 15.00
Handling 10.00
Extra 10.00 arriving before and after 8 AM

Enjoy !

Colin wrote:

1. Not required for Southampton Class D.
2. You speak to Jersey Control initially (10 miles before the boundary), they will transfer you to Guernsey Approach who then pass you onto Alderney Tower. You can let Guernsey Approach know what you want to do and/or Alderney Tower. They are very helpful.
3. Go to ASG for handling, they are very good. 01481 263965 or [email protected]

My last landing/handling fee was 36.86 for landing and 6 hours parking in a 3100lb aircraft.

Have fun

Amazing guys, and thank you for the recommendations. Did you guys stay for the night at any point? If so where would you recommend on staying?

Jujupilote I only have an IR(R) so can’t use in Class A. You can still file an IFR FPL outside of this airspace though, especially routing to the Channel Islands.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Weekend before last we stayed at a hotel called Ziggerat, and it was very nice. You have to be ok with a few steep steps though!

Enjoy, it’s a great destination. Make sure you take a tour of the castle/fort in St Peter Port.

EGLM & EGTN
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message