Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fatima / Giesteria - closed

Hi,

We are planning to go to Fatima / Giesteria in Portugal in a couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone in the group has reliable information on the airfield.

Skydemon lists AVGAS and JET-A as available and a longish, 1600m asphalt runway. There is also a phone no but no answer.

Thanks

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Hi Antonio, Fatima is a wonderful place of worship.

I looked into this airfield during my planning in 2017. There is a lot of contradictory info online about this field. You can check on street view, but I think the airfield has become a racetrack. I found a old local article about the airfield having being built by a local businessman who wanted a Fatima international airport, but who never got CAA approval and was forced to close it.

LFOU, France

Thanks. I’ll keep researching and post what I find.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Leiria LPJF is not too far. AIP: leiria_pdf

Last Edited by Noe at 17 May 11:22

Please always use ICAO codes also, so people can find the threads.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Noe wrote:

Leiria LPJF

At 555m , that rwy length is on the edge of my comfort zone…any obstacles other than the referred cables?

BTW, I believe ICAO for Fatima is ZZZZ

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I would also like to know about it, but I doubt it’s available. It’s not on the VFR manual https://www.nav.pt/docs/AIS/vfr-manual-ii/index-de-aeródromos-heliportos-e-pistas-ul.pdf?sfvrsn=22, PDF not on AIP, not even on the volunteer maintained list at https://cavok.pt/pistas-de-portugal

I wandered around it some 10 years ago, while on the neighbourhood, it was being used for firefighting. Lousã (LPLZ) is on AIP but limited to firefighting, but it’s not the case for Fátima, not mentioned at all.

EHLE, Netherlands

I just received whatsapp feedback from the SkyDemon quoted number that the airfield is not allowed for use by the Portuguese authorities.
@ Peter, you may want to change thread title to “Fatima – Giesteria – CLOSED”

It is a pity access via GA is more and more restricted all over

Antonio
LESB, Spain

LPFJ Leiria is restricted to OPS with 2POB

LPSR seems the next closest alternative. Also researching Casalinho-Pombal microlight airfield, Pias Longas microlight aeroclub and LPCO Coimbra

Last Edited by Antonio at 17 May 17:20
Antonio
LESB, Spain

I overflew Fatima last week and visually confirmed runway unusable due to use for car racing. I ended up using LPSR. Yet another piece of our infrastructure possibly lost forever

Last Edited by Antonio at 08 Jun 22:40
Antonio
LESB, Spain
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message