Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR from EDLN to EGPD Aberdeen

Hey all,

I am invited to a wedding end of June in Aberdeen, and I am figuring out how to get there with the Bonnie.
The flight would go from EDLN Monchengladbach to EGPD Aberdeen, preferrably IFR, using the shortest distance over the channel, i.e. Calais – DVR VOR.

Unfortunately, all the routes Autorouter presents me are kind of non optimal: First there’s a detour to the southwest over CMB VOR (instead of going directly westward towards i.e. Dunkerk or KOK), and then after DVR all routes are essentiall north-north-east over London instead of along the eastern shoreline of your beautiful Island. Also, what would be the best intermediate stop for refuelling on that trip ?

So, what do you do – enter all the waypoints into Autorouter, or do the trip partial VFR, or requesting directs…. what’s the best option ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 22 May 09:02
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Why not fly more or less direct with an IFR join enroute to UNEXO? It is 102% of direct and I am sure you can joint IFR once in contact with Dutch Mil.

UNEXO IFR DCT AMSOT KY615 BIBIS DCT BOGTI DCT PELET DCT DOKEN DCT RIVOT VFR

EDLE, Netherlands

A lot of people, including some commercial, fly off airways up the east of the UK with a clearance from London Military

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

For the UK part of the flight, see here. For the continental part of the flight: yes, there are loads of restrictions on IFR routings in the system for the area just south and southeast of the Channel, unfortunately. My experience is that you can just file, and then negotiate something much better once in the air. Just make sure that your flightplan route does cross those countries which affectively want to cross, so they do have your flightplan….

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Does London Military work all days of the week? Last time I tried this they were shut on Sundays and serve only traffic above FL100. Also don’t they need a prior booking?

There is no CAS up the east coast of the UK below FL200, generally, so you cannot do eurocontrol routing there. One solution is to fly VFR below whatever CAS there is, say 5000ft. It is more scenic but will burn more fuel and could be quite bumpy in the summer, and getting an ad-hoc IFR clearance into CAS (mostly Class A) in the UK, should you need to climb to get above wx, is virtually impossible.

You could just try editing the AR-generated route (perhaps using the waypoint generation method shown here) and if it validates then file it and see what happens. London Control will probably drop you onto London Info. This silently removes your IFR clearance so if you re-enter CAS further down, in the belief that you are still cleared enroute, you will get busted by the CAA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks, I’m beginning to see the light…. what are the best options for refuelling ?
Which would be somewhere north of London and south of Aberdeen :)

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

I have had a go. I get this to validate

EDLN N0152F100 MODRU8N MODRU Z283 NAVAK Y868 SOGRI DCT GILOM L607 KOK DCT VABIK DCT ITVIP L10 BPK/N0152F110 N601 POTON DCT EBOTO DCT EMBOR N601 POL/N0148F130 P18 UVAVU/N0150F120 P18 TILNI/N0152F100 P18 NATEB/N0151F090 DCT BALID EGPD

Now, you could start hacking it. Cancel IFR at VABIK and throw in various intersections or navaids after that. Here you go

N0152F100 MODRU8N MODRU Z283 NAVAK Y868 SOGRI DCT GILOM L607 KOK DCT VABIK VFR MOKBU NONVA INLIM MIPVO DOLAS ABTOS FAMBO ALASO SAB NAXIL

There are some D areas etc so as always when going VFR check enroute notams.

At Aberdeen, if the wx is sub VFR, you can ask for an IFR clearance. Tell Scottish this is what you want well ahead. In the UK this works out of Class G because of the high number of IMCR pilots.

Administrator

Yes the first one looks familiar… these blue-red parts I don’t quite get.
What would be the best option of refuelling ?

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Depends on the plane In a TB20, go direct.

Norwich, or one of the airfields around there e.g. Old Buckenham, is fine. Further up norfff, I am not current on airfield info since (a) I almost never stop for fuel and (b) I prefer to fly south (the temperature rises and one can wear shorts ). I am sure others will know.

Don’t forget the GAR form (can be done simply by email) for the first (or last) stop in the UK.

Administrator

boscomantico wrote:

For the UK part of the flight, see here. For the continental part of the flight: yes, there are loads of restrictions on IFR routings in the system for the area just south and southeast of the Channel, unfortunately. My experience is that you can just file, and then negotiate something much better once in the air. Just make sure that your flightplan route does cross those countries which affectively want to cross, so they do have your flightplan….

Your site is a true eyeopener… wow. Impressed :)
But just to confirm, I need it directly into my brain: With an EASA IR I can fly IFR with a D-reg plane through clouds over the UK, without telling anyone ? Meaning, I define myself as being IFR ?

If I understand your explanation on your website correctly, flying north after Dover I will be OCAS, can fly IFR – through clouds – but when crossing airspaces, control zones and the like, I’ll have to get clearances similar to what we do on the continent when flying VFR. Right ?

Means I can forget the whole autorouter planning and just file sth with the AIS, and then after entering UK airspace I continue OCAS in i.e. 7-8000 ft.. right ?

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 22 May 12:09
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message