Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR from EDLN to EGPD Aberdeen

yes, going directly over the north sea shortens the trip to about 3 hrs.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

A very elegant (OCAS, in the UK) routing here. In gliding distance for 98 percent of the trip time. (You get this routing if you untick the “use UK preferred routes” option in the autorouter. What this effectively does is it tells the autorouter that you are willing to fly OCAS for the UK part.)

You would have to consider all those danger areas off the east coast Britain, though.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 May 09:33
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Yes; one can certainly get IFR FPs validated at various OCAS levels, but you won’t get any service, clearances or any other entitlement beyond what you would get if you flew it VFR.

It’s like filing an IFR FP from EGKA to EGMD, at say 3000ft. It will validate

IFPS / Eurocontrol discharge their obligation by distributing all validated IFR flights plans (I Z or Y) to the respective countries who then decide on what to do with them. The UK basically dumps the OCAS ones, although presumably the Scottish region doesn’t.

I have just heard from a NATS ATCO that minimum LTMA crossing is likely to be FL090.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yes; one can certainly get IFR FPs validated at various OCAS levels, but you won’t get any service, clearances or any other entitlement beyond what you would get if you flew it VFR.

Sure, in but in the UK, you can only have one or the other, not both. It’s either

• Fly as a controlled IFR flight, with all the cocconing, but also all the detours and minimum altitudes that come along with it. The reason this is so in the UK is that the lower airway system is NOT embedded in class E airspace, making shortcuts from the flightplanned route, as we know them from Germany, etc., largely impossible (if you want to remain in CAS at all times)
  • Fly as a (largely) uncontrolled IFR flight, direct to destination, but with the additional chores of considering airspace that may be in your way. Sure, you could just as well file it as V, but why do so? At least, if you fly IFR, you are entitled to enter clouds. Sure, even if you did file V, you can still change to I at any second. So, sure, the difference is rather academic.

But these things require and deserve explanation to German-trained IFR pilots.

On the destination of Aberdeen, yes, it would be great to get an update on its viability for light GA, but it sure is very expensive (Signature….). I would strongly suggest using Dundee instead. It’s a rather short, non-stop train ride to Aberdeen. Plus, it’s a cheap airport, with beautiful approaches. Perfect for light (both VFR and IFR) GA.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 24 May 11:48
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Aberdeen, yes, it would be great to get an update on its viability for light GA

Not exactly fresh info, but I was there in August 2017. Paid GBP 221 for a few days stay with Signature handling. Fuel via AirBP was surprisingly cheap. I think there was some mistake like export pricing, but I didn’t inquire ;-) There is a very small apron for light planes and I was initially placed there, but then they changed their mind and I had to start up again and taxi to a larger apron in front of a hangar. That’s all I remember..

LPFR, Poland

@Maoraigh may know the latest situation at the airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message