Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

September 2019 fly-in: Montenegro, Tivat / Kotor LYTV 7/8 September

I might be able to come. But when is the last flyin of the year?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

We tend to do two main ones: May and September. This one is the 2nd of those.

We do others in between but it is difficult to get a good turnout on those. Early or late in the year most people fly rarely. In the “high summer” most people have full diaries.

We tend to go to Spain in October or November.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I may not have access to the plane that weekend but if anyone is looking for an additional pilot on the long trek down from the UK i’d be interested! (I’ve done the route this year)

One thing to note is that due to the adjacent terrain Tivat can easily be covered in cloud, often layers of which are unstable (-TS), for days. This may cause issues for the more VFR adventurers wanting to join. Theoretically you can fly to the 14 threshold at 50 ft though

You can see the kind of overcast that we had on arrival. Also some serious machinery parked on the apron!

Also Tivat itself isn’t terrible for a meet-up, very close to the airport and they’ve recently redone the whole promenade / waterfront restaurant area.

Last Edited by TimR at 03 Jul 13:56
EGSX

I was there four years ago. Definitively a nice place to visit.
Hope to be able to join you there.
Watch this.

N410617 E0142719
S. Agata de Goti, Benevento, Italy

Great video!

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yes – brilliant

Administrator

My wife and I plan to leave Paros (where our hotel on the coast facing Naxos is prepaid—best value for money I have seen in all my travels—it has no reviews on Booking I suspect because the people who stay there don’t want to spill the beans) the morning of Sat Sept 7. I need to be at work Monday Sept 9, which means getting the plane to a place with a Sunday evening commercial flight home. Split would work (for that, we would park the plane at Brac and take a water taxi to the Split airport pier), and we could stop at Tivat on the way, after departing Greece through LGIO Ioannina.

But that would be a long Saturday for my wife in the plane. Perhaps we’ll leave a day earlier and overnight in Ioannina, which we both like, before continuing on to Tivat. Don’t count us in, but we might just show up.

BTW when we travel, I often preposition the plane on the weekend prior to our vacation dates. For example, we want to do Istanbul on the way down.

Then we fly in commercially and have a plane at our disposal, without the long trip down. The trip back is often by a different route, using the same technique: dump the plane and fly out commercially. Then I return and do the long trek back to home base alone. It’s a great way to cover a lot of territory in a slow plane without driving the family crazy. They get the utility of a plane positioned exactly where it is needed. It’s also a good way of turning cheapo tickets on budget aircraft to your advantage. Does anyone else use this technique?

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 07 Jul 18:30
Tököl LHTL

Could everyone who plans to come please join the telegram group (URL in the post above) so we know the rough numbers.

Thanks

Administrator

There is an email going out now, reminding people of this meet-up and containing the Telegram joining link.

It is being sent out with 60 second gaps (for anti spam blacklist reasons) so will take many hours, but if you do not receive this email by the end of tomorrow, check that you have enabled emails in your profile, under My Account / Edit Profile.

Administrator

I am looking at the possibility of flying on to Ioanina LGIO for a day or two, after Tivat, and then straight back, via Brac or Losinj as usual.

I wonder if this grabs anybody? LGIO has avgas and customs, not been Fraported, has no slots (mandatory coordination) and IIRC just needs a flight plan and PNR by email or something like that. Very nice friendly staff. Absolutely vast parking space.

I’ve landed at LGIO but never spent time there. It looks really nice. This video has the approach into LGIO so you can see what it looks like

Administrator
Sign in to add your message