Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alzate Brianza LILB (Como Lake)

10 Posts

Hello everyone (yes @Peter, I’m back to flying a little bit),
I’m planning a flight from my homebase of Villefranche-Tarare, France (LFHV) to Alzate Brianza (LILB) near Como, Italy.
Aircraft will be a DR400-140 with two persons on board, for a 3-day visit of lake Como.
I’m looking for any advice on this airfield.
Thanks!

LFLY, France

See https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/9899-hello-from-italy.

PPR required, but @Freddie might be able to help you with that.

Remember, it’s a slightly challenging airfield.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Jun 12:53
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

How do you manage to go through A class areas that lies over almost all northern Italy?

Last Edited by greg_mp at 14 Jun 18:22
LFMD, France

You don‘t. You go below.

But it is simply not true that there is class A over almost all north Italy. It is only over parts of the very northwest, and even there, the parts where it goes down to 2000 or 3000 feet are very small.

Which chart do you use?

@Nestor: go to LILY of course :-)

EDLE, Netherlands

boscomantico wrote:

But it is simply not true that there is class A over almost all north Italy. It is only over parts of the very northwest, and even there, the parts where it goes down to 2000 or 3000 feet are very small.

Which chart do you use?

I didn’t get your answer. Actually you are right, it’s actually all over the places I’m used to go by car (Torino, laggo maggior, …) , and I am not really fan of flying so low for 2h+ trips.
2 weeks ago I went to see friends in Padova, and I did hesitated to make a hook over como lake for the return trip (Padova to Cannes), and it would have been great to do it aroung FL80 because i wasn’t loosing so much time. But doing it at 3000ft max does increase trip time… I am using SD for trip planning, and would have love to go Padova→Bergamo via north of Verona CTR over lago di garda, but then fall into milano_lombardia class A, that is between mountains and 2000ft max to avoid.
Last Edited by greg_mp at 18 Jun 19:51
LFMD, France

Well, yes. Such a leg from Albenga to Bergamo (or vice versa) still exactly cuts through those class A areas with low lower limits. No chance to do this higher up in VFR.

I previously discussed the Milano TMA and the various VFR options here.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jun 20:01

Just reading it, thanks!
Actually for the first trip, I went direct through C/D class over Piacenza and Parma, and it worked nicely apart from milano radar guy who did accepted me, but once I was in (FL80), he just told me that “I shouldn’t cross this way inside approach path”, what I answered by “as you accepted me in a D-Class, I can change heading and altitude as per request”, and got no answer after that, and went FL80 until Padova approach. For the return trip, it was difficult to get high altitude until Novi Ligure, which I choose to avoid CBs over Liguria mountains by the north, but remains 3000 to 5500ft over the same D class area, which didn’t feed any issue. It was sunday evening, and got freed by Milano over Albenga to Nice Approach.
I was a bit afraid they refuse crossing the D class, but after discussion with local pilots here, that are often in Italy, they told me it’s actually straightforward, and all depends on the mood of the guys at the radio – which I can confirm.
But I didn’t take my chance over the A class :P.

LFMD, France

@boscomantico,
Thanks for your valuable advice. I contacted @Freddie via PM and was already in contact with AVL aeroclub, which operates the platform. We’ll land with 2 POB and approx. 80 liters fuel in a DR400-140. I’ll start planning around class-A airspace with 2 options : via Swiss GAFOR route or via direct arrival from west.
To answer your question regarding which chart I use: I use SkyDemon with AirMillion paper for route planning and backup.

Last Edited by Nestor at 18 Jun 22:36
LFLY, France

Thumbs up!

10 Posts
Sign in to add your message