Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip around Great Britain

always learning
LO__, Austria

Thanks. Some of the charts are quite useful for frequencies et al.

Austria

Do I have to do anything else or do I need some sort of verification by the GAR-people or is this one message that the file got submitted enough?

You just submit the GAR and that’s it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Every VFR FP is accepted. There is no validation.

That depends. In many countries (not the UK, according to their AIP), the flight plan is sent to the ARO of the departure airport which may or may not validate the flight plan. They do in Sweden.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Do they stop you departing if they don’t like it?

A smart pilot will be airborne by then Normally, especially VFR, you can depart the instant the departure tower has your FP, regardless of whether anybody else downstream has got it.

The only case I ever had a VFR FP rejected was flying from Trieste to Corfu, c. 2005, when Montenegro objected to the routing through their bit of airspace. It was settled quickly with a re-route but stopped me departing, after I had started up.

In many countries (not the UK, according to their AIP), the flight plan is sent to the ARO of the departure airport

Actually I think that is the custom in most of the world. For sure Homebriefing (a business run on the side by Vienna ATC) did just that, for all VFR FPs (they told me so). Only some European places want it different.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Do they stop you departing if they don’t like it?

Of course not. But you’ll depart without a flight plan.

“Every VFR FP is accepted. There is no validation.”

Try filing a VFR FP across Kosovo, e.g. Skopje to Tivat, turning north to avoid the high mountains with build up to the West. You will get the live experience how quickly a FP is being (de-)validated
Skopje will tell you that they cannot let you depart, since you do not have a valid flight plan…

Last Edited by ch.ess at 09 Jul 17:17
EDM_, Germany

ASW22 wrote:

I need to file a flightplan with AustroControl and they are quite insistent on border crossing points in the flightplan.

EDRZ EET/REMIK0020 EET/TALUD0040 EET/DEVAL0200 EGHL got accepted without problems.

Wa? Austrian AIP says in ENR 1.10-9:

3.3.2.2.1. (…) EET/Boundary crossing estimates

Boundary crossing estimates for flights, crossing the boundary of FIR Wien are not required to be indicated in the flight plan unless otherwise required by adjacent States.

Plus, to me, the usual (and documented) syntax of EET (in item 18) uses FIR names, not actual border crossing points. Maybe you should try that. E.g.: EET/EBBU0020 EET/LFFF0040 EET/EGTT0200.

ELLX

lionel wrote:

Plus, to me, the usual (and documented) syntax of EET (in item 18) uses FIR names, not actual border crossing points. Maybe you should try that. E.g.: EET/EBBU0020 EET/LFFF0040 EET/EGTT0200.

The syntax EET/REMIK0020 is also usual and documented. It depends on whether you want to give an estimate for a significant point or for a FIR boundary. If there is a significant point on the FIR boundary, I don’t see why you couldn’t do it either way.

Yesterday we flew back after 10 great days in the UK.

Austria-UK was very straight forward. The weather was perfect and the controllers in LUX very helpful. I asked a couple of minutes early for coordination trough their airspace and they let me cross with a couple of vectors quite easily. Perfect service!! This was the only part of the flight from Austria where we had to deal with a little bit of airspace, but actually it was very very easy. Also the crossing of the channel was absolutely uneventful. I thought that there must be some sort of controller sitting on it, but actually it is a nonevent.

We landed in EGHL after a little bit under 5 hours flight time and got picked up by the rental car agency. The next couple of days we spent traveling through southern England (Bath, Cotswalds, Oxford, etc.) which was beautiful. The plan was to fly to Perth and take a rental again, but we decided to keep the car and drive up as we had a couple of little stops on the way north and we weren’t sure if we wouldn’t get stuck in the north if the weather turned sour a week later (my PA had filled my calendar up for the beginning of the week so I had some motivation to actually get back on time).

Scotland was amazing. The sceneries were great and it only rained a single day, for the rest of time it was sunny (very unusual as everybody kept explaining).

Yesterday we started around 10 UTC in Lasham with light rain and 1.000 ft MSL cloudbase to the south. At Lydd the cloudbase broke up and we could go on top at 4.500 ft and stay on top until Luxemburg where we went below clouds again and stayed there until Austria.
It took us 4,25 hours of flight time with some nice winds pushing a little bit.

On both the out and the return trip we made a stop at EDRZ for border control.

Summa summarum we had a great time in the air and on the ground and I completely fell in love with the UK.
I hope that after Brexit we can still visit you guys from time to time as easily as we do now.

Austria
40 Posts
Sign in to add your message