Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Summer Flying Holiday Aug 2019

After the success of our trip last year, circa 10 days we’re beginning to look at this year.
We went Jersey, Brittany, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, EmpuriaBrava, Grenoble, Albertville, and home.
So in a similar way to we are considering another circular sort of route.
Thinking of Cannes, Venice, Zadar, Hvar, Locano, Home.
That isn’t planned in a flight sense so can be modified to suit.
Anyone and everyone welcome to match the route, some or all of it (the more the merrier) or pick one location and it’ll be a fly-in.
We’re heading off on Thursday 15th or Friday 16th August for 10-12 days.
Unfortunately VFR only so we’ll have to be flexible but I’m always optimistic that even a largely distorted route/destination list will still be a holiday.
I’d welcome any feedback on the destinations even if it’s an ‘avoid’ as I have no experience outside of France.
I Have been told Croatia is very friendly and no hassle but different people can have different experiences on different days.

United Kingdom

Croatia is friendly and Hvar a wonderful destination for a plane that doesn’t mind grass. The country is not Schengen, but Brac is a perfect port of entry for Hvar (about a 2 minute flight away). In fact, there’s almost no need to start your engine to get to Hvar; just push it off the cliff and glide down!

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Just push it off the cliff and glide down!

Can’t see how you can be PIC at controls while doing that push

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Quote Can’t see how you can be PIC at controls while doing that push

That’s what Pax are for! ;-)

United Kingdom

Croatia is a GA heaven See some of my trip reports here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the Link Peter I’ll get right on it.

United Kingdom

The first part of this trip (work dependant)
Was to depart Friday, stay over in mud France, somewhere with immigration/customs, then Cannes on Saturday morning.
However I was recently warned about limited parking at Cannes in summer.
I contacted them and asked to book, but they said no.
Apparently I have to check notams to see if they can accept me.

Not cool for a proper holiday trip but hey ho.
Anyone have experience of them being ‘full’
Or the likelyhood of it happening?
Kind regards Pete

United Kingdom

More or less all the French airports on the Med coast and on Corsica are subject to parking restrictions in high summer. With Cannes probably being the worst one. It’s the only coastal GA airport between Albenga and Cuers…

The simple solution is to just avoid flying to the Med in July and August.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 25 Jul 20:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Try Le Castellet a little further down the coast. I was there a few years ago and had no issues on parking.
We stayed in Cassis.

EGTR

As the weather is trying to ruin our plans, I’m starting to reroute.
Originally we were heading to Chateauroux for customs 4hrs PNR, before heading for Cannes.

But they have an aerobatic competition, and airshow events so decided against there.
It’s looking like the most favourable idea, allowing for changable wx would be to just vist Calais and get the formalities out of the way. Very helpful 2hrs PNR.

I did have a little look at several other entry points but they do seem to vary on PNR nothing found at 2hrs.
Are there any point of entry that require nothing more than the notice of a Flightplan and GAR form?
Due to being VFR and the changable wx it would be nice to have another short notice option.

United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message