Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs PNR for flights between Denmark & German grass airfields?

I haven’t readily found the answer to this. If it is covered somewhere on the forum, just point me to it.

Denmark is both Schengen and EU Customs Union, and as such I would expect the same flexibility for entry/exit as between Germany, Czech, and Austria…. i.e. any to any AD with just FPL. However the DK AIP & VFR Guide specifically indicates that all cross-border flights need to land first/last at an officially identified customs airport. There is a list of these including many smaller grass airfields. However, even they indicate customs is PNR during office hours, usually 1hr. Would this be necessary for a flight from, just to pick a couple examples: Bienenfarm EDOI to Sydfyn/Tasinge EKST (listed as “other with customs”) or Nordborg EKNB (NOT listed as “other with customs”) to Rendsburg EDXR? What about arrival/departure outside office hours?

LSZK, Switzerland

chflyer wrote:

Denmark is both Schengen and EU Customs Union, and as such I would expect the same flexibility for entry/exit as between Germany

Denmark introduced “temporary border control” a couple of years ago:
http://uim.dk/nyheder/2016/information-about-the-danish-border-control

So yes it is required. But if you are going to EKST why not make a stop at EKSB and do the customs/passport check there?

EKRK, Denmark

Interesting. Three years isn’t really “temporary” as stated in the article.

Sure, both EKSB and EKMB options but their requirements are exactly the same as EKST so I’m not sure what advantage that would have other than getting an additional airfield code in the logbook

Since Nordborg EKNB isn’t on the customs list, EKSB would be the logical choice for that as it is only a few miles away.

It sounds from the AIP entries that a telephone call 1hr before arrival would satisfy the PNR reqt, though (no form to be sent).

LSZK, Switzerland

You’re right. The government continues to extend the border control.

Only difference is that EKSB has commercial trafic. The police will probably not be that far away and unfamiliar with coming for passport control. But you can ask them:
http://www.sonderborg-lufthavn.dk/pilot-information.html

EKRK, Denmark

Interesting that Denmark har also suspended Schengen för air traffic. Sweden has suspended Schengen for road/sea/rail traffic from Denmark for the same reason Denmark has suspended Schengen for traffic from Germany — but not for air traffic.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Neither has Denmark. From the Website of the European Commission:

Denmark (12 May 2019 – 12 November 2019)
severe threat to public order and internal security; internal border with Germany (land and ports with ferry connections); may extend to all internal borders

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

chflyer wrote:

Denmark is both Schengen and EU Customs Union, and as such I would expect the same flexibility for entry/exit as between Germany, Czech, and Austria…. i.e. any to any AD with just FPL. However the DK AIP & VFR Guide specifically indicates that all cross-border flights need to land first/last at an officially identified customs airport.

Michael_J wrote:

Denmark introduced “temporary border control” a couple of years ago:
http://uim.dk/nyheder/2016/information-about-the-danish-border-control

So yes it is required.

boscomantico wrote:

Neither has Denmark [suspended Schengen for air traffic.]

The info in the AIP may be outdated or it may be FUD. Remember that an AIP is not itself law.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Indeed. And the article quoted by Michael_J only references trains, buses, and ferries…. air traffic is notably absent.

Nonetheless, one would be hard-pressed to argue a case if the AIP guidance were ignored and one subsequently ran into difficulty. So far, I don’t see anything above to indicate that the AIP is wrong.

LSZK, Switzerland

I don’t see anything above to indicate that the AIP is wrong.

But Denmark is an unconditional signee of the Schengen agreement! I would say this is enough to indicate that the AIP is wrong.

Denmark joined Schengen in 2001. Ever since that time, their AIP has never been updated in this regard. It has never been known why. So it has been thus for 18 years now. And clearly in conflict with the freedom of movement conferred by the Schengen Agreement.

Nobody ever cared about it because Denmark has never enforced this anyway. For the last 18 years, I have been flying between Germany and any Danish airfield, without ever restricting myself to customs airfields, and without ever informing customs (which is not proof, but it is evidence). Same for an entire generation of pilots. Of course, you are free to complicate your trip by adding extra/unnecessary stops along the way (and Swiss pilots tend to be quite good at that ), but hardly anybody does this.

As with so many things, one has to take a decision and take the resonsibility for it.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 15 Jul 14:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

But Denmark is an unconditional signee of the Schengen agreement! I would say this is enough to indicate that the AIP is wrong.

…yes and then…
https://ec.europa.eu/home-affairs/what-we-do/policies/borders-and-visas/schengen/reintroduction-border-control_en

But if the police don’t care when you come from Germany well go ahead and fly.

Last Edited by Michael_J at 15 Jul 14:41
EKRK, Denmark
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message