Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Alternative to Lucca LIQL with Avgas?

I have an upcoming trip with my Jodel D113V to Tuscany in two weeks. I have planned to land, stay, and refuel Lucca (LIQL), but alas a NOTAM has come out which closes the aerodrome until August 2. (The NOTAM applies only during specific hours, as boscomantico kindly points out below. However, these coincide with my planned arrival and departure times, hence my query.)

What alternatives do you suggest? Valdera (LIAT) is close to my destination, but I need Avgas to safely continue to Propriano (LFKO).

Also, can anyone confirm that in Italy you need to be in ATC contact whenever flying underneath controlled airspace?

Thanks,

Michael

Last Edited by Zorg at 15 Jul 10:23
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

As I explained in another thread, you are all misreading these NOTAMs. These closures only affect very limited time brackets.

Please enlighten me: what is so difficult about it? Of course, If one stops reading them once 3/4 of the way through, one will desume the wrong conclusions, but that‘s true for everything in life.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Also, can anyone confirm that in Italy you need to be in ATC contact whenever flying underneath controlled airspace?

No.

Not sure of your planned routing, but a couple refueling possibilities on the line Valdera – Propriano are Elba and Bastia. Elba is very expensive. I believe Bastia has more normal French Avgas prices.

According to various sources (2018 Air Million, Jepp), Massa LILQ has Avgas but I’ve never been there. Same for Siena LIQS which was long closed (bankrupt?), apparently reopened but restricted to based-aircraft. Current situation?? Jepp & EasyVFR says Avgas needs 3hr PNR. If you speak Italian a telephone call to them might be useful.

LSZK, Switzerland

Hi boscomantico,

I was planning to land on Friday afternoon, and depart on Monday morning — both times this NOTAM seems to apply (unless I’m misreading it).

Michael

P. s.: It’s Monday for all of us today. :)

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

OK, but it doesn’t say that the airfield is closed until 2nd of August. :-)

Point taken, I’ve amended my original post to fix the misleading phrasing.

Meanwhile I’ve found a workaround:

• Stop somewhere on the way (suggestions for a nice grass strip or airfield with good food between Torino and Lucca?) to arrive in Lucca after 1700 and refuel right away.
  • Instead of departing Lucca on Monday morning, reposition to Cecina (LIQG) on Sunday night to be able to leave Monday morning for Propriano
LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

May I suggest Pavullo ( LIDP) as a stopover between Torino and Lucca?

https://aeroclubpavullo.it/

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

May I suggest Pavullo ( LIDP) as a stopover between Torino and Lucca?

Awesome recommendation, thanks AfricanEagle. Too bad though, aerodrome is closed for public traffic until September 12 (for the “3rd FAI World Gliding Championships 13.5m” it seems).

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

No.

boscomantico, while reading your very useful web page on flying in Italy again, I found the relevant part whose vague memory of triggered my above question. In English:

[…] according to the Italian AIP, there are some airspaces in which it is even mandatory for VFR flights to be in contact with FIS, specifically: a) if you are within the lateral limits (i.e., below!) of the TMA Milan and b) if you are in the class-E airspace of the TMAs Padova and Brindisi.

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message