Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stopover in N-France

So eventually I figured since we need about 70nm and 38 mins in warm wx to climb to our FL190 cruise altitude, we would be crossing a few ATC boundaries in the climb out of LFAC/LFAT which would be messy with ATC.
Furthermore, we had some tailwind and good, cold wx if up high, not so down low, so we wanted to fly high.
Wind also favoured a more western route, so we chose to stop at LFRS Nantes instead, also showing some support to the suffering local aeroclub.

Handling was easy with Nantes Aeroclub but for a couple of items:

a) You need to PPR the police of your requirement to clear customs or else they may not be ready …specially at lunch time.
b) Fuelling (Air Total card accepted) was difficult amidst all the busy commercial traffic workload. It required a lot of begging not to miss our second delayed slot.

Both can be arranged via the aeroclub.

If not done yet, please express your support to the Aeroclub with this petition

I did obtain a very straightforward EC routing and Jersey ATC was helpful as ever, not least since were already at cruise altitude by the time we got to the FIR boundary, which always helps.

This way we managed to average over 200KTS LFRS to EGPN or exactly 3 hrs for the 603nm including the RNAV approach using the 20KTS tailwind component to help for a change (we seem to always be fighting headwinds)

Last Edited by Antonio at 07 Aug 18:54
Antonio
LESB, Spain

Looks interesting…we’ll research EBOS too, thx!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

You could also consider EBOS / Oostend, just a few miles up the coast. There’s a recent thread on it here.

So if I read you fine:

Pick west (LFRG, LFRC…) for a potentially shorter but usually longer and trickier routing
Pict East (LFAT, LFAC) for a more straightforward routing but then expect to climb before LTMA or else reroutings and stop-climbs.
LFAT for one of the best (if potentially very busy, more so at weekend afternoons) GA airfields around, perhaps worth a visit for the sake of it.
LFAC for a quick stop, but pre-confirming restaurant is open.

Thx!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

The same impression for LFAC, when I just want a “stop airport” with lovely airport staff, friendly custom guys, nice food and convenient hours

You just turn up on a short PNR notice, call everybody by their names, have quick lunch and off you go for your next destination (unless you want to do char a voile surfing classes or charity work in Calais) and while you are stuck at it have some free circuit/instrument practice…

Also, it is my default option when water is too cold for a swim than Deauville when L2K is busy

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Jul 23:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

LFAC is a dump.

LFAC has a decent bar/restaurant, clean WCs, helpful staff and friendly police/customs (when they’re there). True, it’s not usually heaving with other GA, which means that on a typical trip from Scotland to Haute Savoie I can land there and depart within 15 minutes, duly Schengenised.

The runway is endless, so you can land at and take off from middle holding point Bravo, right by the apron, with practically no taxiing required.

As a pit stop, I really like it.

Last Edited by Jacko at 15 Jul 23:19
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Merci!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I stopped twice in LFAT this weekend and I am a fan since. It is a GA hotspot for a reason. Regular traffic all day everyday, everything should be smooth on a weekday.

Very efficient and polite ATC. Fun fact : I even heard LFAT TWR saying to a UK pilot “Free call Lille Information ….”

As Bosco said, fuel is much cheaper at the TOTAL pump than at the truck, also because the airport owns the truck and it is one of their incomes…

About your holidays : I was impressed about finding both a summer camp for the kids and a lover’s nest so far from home, arranging all this via GA
I will pray for you and your wife, my brother.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 15 Jul 20:25
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

Your holiday plans seem very nice

It sure does! First time in a decade we “run away” for a week “without” the kids…as my wife sais, we either re-discover the fun of one another or we get divorced…hopefully the former!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Thx for the advice and…

Jujupilote wrote:

the field is completely self-funded

this in itself (quite a feat!) makes it worth a visit if we end up flying outside the weekend…merci

Antonio
LESB, Spain
21 Posts
Sign in to add your message