Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EGKB to Corsica (LFKB) and then to Sardinia (LIEO) with Schengen Entry and exit

As I get so much from others trip reports I will try to do any meaningful trip reports in short form with tips to help others…

I popped down to Corsica and Sardinia for the week with my wife and daughter this last week.

28 July – EGKB to LFCR : Route DCT DET DCT LYD/N0170F250 UM189 WAFFU/N0170F200 M189 HAWKE DCT DRAKE L151 SITET UN859 LGL/N0170F120 H20 BENAR A34 KOVAK H20 DOMOD R10 AMB A34 BALAN R10 LMG G36 ESISI DCT.

Took this more southerly route as on the 28th there were many buildups towards the alps and all down the east of France. Had planned to use Grenoble as it has 24h Customs and Immigration. Rodez was fine. Made a notification and got a confirmation back that they will not need to see us on landing. Trip down was uneventful at FL120. Hand flew the ILS in IMC for a qualifying approach. AVGAS need attendance if you don’t have a Total card. This was a bit of a hassle as we had a EasyJet flight land just after us so we could to go into the terminal until that had cleared and they could not man the Avgas pump until they had turned that plane around! All went smoothly just very slowly!

For those interested : FL120, 490nm, Ave speed 172kts, Flight time 2:51 and Fuel burned 51.4 gallons.

Second leg 28 July – LFCR to LFKB : Route BALSI5E BASLI J27 AFRIC G39 FJR Y25 MTG G701 LUC A3 NORKA NORKA5N

More interesting route along the coast and crossing the Med to Corsica. Very smooth flying all the way despite being able to see the CB’s further East into France, Alps and Italy. Approach control was awesome. Asked to fly the NORK5N approach but then got vectors onto the ILS for 34Z. Wind shear on final. Interesting the commercial flights were reporting tail winds on 34 but the tower had tail winds on both 34 and 16. Landed 34 with a bit of wind shear but no actually quite smooth. Only plane on GA apron and pretty smooth through the GA terminal.

FL100, 377nm, Ave speed 178kts, Flight time 2:12 and Fuel Burned 39.1 gallons

30 July – LFKB to LIEO : DCT AJO A9 CORSI DCT

Departure time what 14:10 – height of the heat. Had to climb to FL120 to get over the Corsica mountains. Actually only got up to FL110 as was trying to manage engine temperatures. Asked to fly the CORSI1M arrival. At PIGEG was asked to go Direct MILIS to join the IAF for the ILS. A bit of turbulence on approach but very smooth.

LIEO is a great airport and very busy with commercial and private jets. We parked over on the main terminal that initially was a problem as we have to take a car over the the GA terminal. However on departure this worked to our advantage as the AVGAS is over in the corner on the main terminal.

Handling was awesome by Eccelsa

FL110, 168nm, Ave Sped 144kts, Flight time 1:26 and Fuel burned 21.2 gallons.

3 August – LIEO to LFLS : DCT TEREZ/N0170F120 J19 AJO M622 MERLU/N0170F140 M622 DIVUL G374 PERUS A3 RETNO Z42 LASUR/N0170F130 Z42 PINED DCT

Handling in the am was great. Little tip is that if you hire a car you can actually drop it off at the GA terminal. AVGAS was conveniently on the main ramp – seems odd that it is not by the GA terminal but they leave the smaller GA plans on the main ramp and use a shuttle to drive you over to the GA terminal. Customs and Immigration available 24 hours. Did not need it but for information.

Flew the TEREZ6K departure off runway 03. Good climb to FL100 for the cruise over the Med and then climbed to FL140 to go over the mountains.

Got vector for the ILS at Grenoble and nice long runway with excellent service for AVGAS and transit. 24 hour customs and immigration so great airport to use for Schengen departures or arrivals.

Very nice GA terminal with good handling and AVGAS truck that comes to you.

FL 120 – 140, 350nm, 140kts (headwind!), Flight time 2:34 and Fuel burned 45 gallons

3 August – LFLS to EGKB : DCT DANBO A6 DJL/N0170F110 A1 BRY/N0170F200 UM733 CLM UM976 UTELA UM733 KOPOR UN874 MTD/N0170F120 N57 ABB T22 RATUK/N0170F190 L613 SOVAT DCT

Smooth flight at FL120. Was asked to fly FL190 over Paris. Rather than getting my wife and daughter on Oxygen I decided to go around at FL120 – detour was VATRI and REM. Great flight in and hand flew the ILS to get some more practice at Biggin.

FL120, 443nm, 158kts, Flight time 2:53 and Fuel burned 51 gallons.

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

Thank you for the report, SierraNovember. Great pics and amazing ground speeds too

Interesting you got a Paris transit at FL190. It is normally thought to be FL200 as a minimum.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip, Corsica and Sardinia are definitely places to visit. From places like Croatia visiting these islands takes almost all day to reach either by airline or by car and ferry while GA flight takes 2-3 hours. BTW you just miss full names of airports – LFKB Bastia-Poretta and LIEO Olbia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Does Olbia LIEO have Avgas now? It didn’t in September 2018 when I visited.

Light aircraft can park at the GA terminal in off-peak season. Our SR20 looked tiny next to the BBJ we were marshalled to park next to.

FI/IRI (London/South East)
EGKB (Biggin Hill), United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message