Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EDDL Düsseldorf vs EDLN Moenchengladbach?

Have a lunch meeting in Düsseldorf on a Saturday. Will be using a SR22. Want to have IFR as an option so EDLE Edden/Muelheim is ruled out (also is a bit far away)

EDDL is 5 minutes shorter by taxi, but I am worried about being stuck in “big airport” procedures like long security checks, shuttle to plane, complicated fueling etc.

Is EDLN the better alternative? Also what’s the apprx landing fees for both airports these days?

Will be coming from Switzerland so need customs, but I think that shouldn’t be a problem for both alternatives during normal operating hours.

Switzerland

Don’t know the fees but EDDL is straightforward procedurally at the GAT – simple security and you can walk to the aircraft. More complicated with slots etc.

EGTK Oxford

Yes, EDDL is easy and straightforward. In fact, there is no big airport in Germany (except maybe Munich and Frankfurt) where you will lose any significant time due to procedures, shuttles, etc. They are all straightforward.

Expect about 100 Euros for airport fees at EDDL. Plus 15 Euros for DFS. Oh, and don‘t forget to get an IFR airport slot (easiest done by tel with the German AIS on the morning of the flight.)

EDLN has recently increased their fees and is now also about 60 Euros for an SR22, so not all that much different.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Aug 09:21
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Yes, EDDL is easy and straightforward. In fact, there is no big airport in Germany (except maybe Munich and Frankfurt) where you will lose any significant time due to procedures, shuttles, etc. They are all straightforward.

Even Munich, a shuttle is a pain but no mandatory handling and reasonable fees (if you are a type they will accept of course). Germany is unique in Europe in this respect.

EGTK Oxford

EDDL it is, thanks for your advise. On Skydemon someone was paying 196 EUR for IFR ARR + DEP with a DA42. He must have flown outside regular hours or something. 100 EUR sounds more reasonable.

Worst airport so far in terms of overhead was Geneva. They want to shuttle you around, mandatory handling, the whole shabang.

Switzerland

Weight makes a difference. A DA42 is noticeably heavier than an SR20. Bring a noise certificate though. A lot depends on that, too.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Aug 12:05

I thought all propeller planes are treated the same at EDDL – see section 1.2 – Noise Surcharges of EDDL Tarrifs

Or will producing a noise certificate lower some fee?

FWIW, the way I calculated the costs for a one day trip that didn’t happen was 36 EUR (2×18) for landing and take-off, 20 EUR/day parking and 20 EUR for use of GA terminal.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Indeed, looks like at EDDL, all aircraft between 1.2 tons and 2 tons fall into the same weight band. Also, it looks like they put all pistons into the same noise class. Unusual.

However, experience shows that working out a realistic total from a complex price list never works. It always ends up being more…

But even if you calcs are correct, you still miss the separate DFS fee (about 15€), so it does come close to the mentioned 100 Euros in total.

If I happen to be flying into EDDL again soon, I will report.

You can get a Landing slot for free via DFS AIS: +49 69 78072500
I made the mistake of calling the handler to request a slot. The invoice was in the 200EUR league and included all kinds of unneeded costs, like cleaning.

You can also send a e-mail to [email protected] with a standard GCR message, e.g.

GCR
/REG
EDDL
N N123AB 12MAY 004DA40 0930EDFZ D
GI BRGDS

for a departure slot.

That worked for me last time.

Wolfgang

EGTF, EGLK, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message