Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Suggestions for Eastern Europe (and flight plan filing)

I’ve strongly considered both – very tempted! The cheap avgas definitely helps.

Is Sarajevo expensive for fuel/handling?

United Kingdom

From Skopje I can make it home on full tanks… didnt even ask for fuel in Sarajevo. Only in Maribor (when doing immigration anyway) did I top up a bit. Portoroz is an alternative (permanent immigration and 2eur/L) but was too far off my track home.
In Sarajevo I paid 62eur for a TB20 (1400kg MTOW), no pax (+18eur p.p.).
In Skopje it was 45eur. Avgas was 1.30/L but payment cash only.

EDM_, Germany

If you choose to also go to Bucharest LRBS it will be about 50 EUR for landing and parking a TB20 for 1 day, AVGAS is about 2.65 EUR/l at Eurospeed.

I went to Sofia last month and it’s a bit more expensive, even for AOPA members, with AVGAS at about 3.00 EUR/l.

Black Sea shoreline would be a good idea if you really want to go to the edge of Europe, with Tuzla LRTZ in Romania being a nice place (nearby LRCK international airport available and cheap) and Burgas LBBG in Bulgaria also nice for an overnight stay and not expensive at all.

LRIA, Romania

For Budapest I’d suggest Budaors LHBS if you are not afraid of grass , Almost downton easy and cheap.

Pegaso airstrip, Italy

For Prague, Letňany is definitely the way to go, but I don’t have any experiences with a Cirrus yet (unfortunately ), so I can’t judge if a 800 m grass runway will be good enough for you. The 05L/23R runway is in good shape, so don’t worry about that, and the staff very helpful. See also my videos here.

What about Slovakia? Very beautiful country to visit. If you land at Poprad-Tatry (LZTT), you have a nice little city and gorgeous mountains to visit. I would highly recommend to take the ropeway to Lomnický štít (in case all rides are fully booked, try Lomnický sedlo) at Tatranská Lomnica. For me, one of the most beautiful places in that part of Europe. There are also some very well maintained mountain trails for hiking around the High Tatra mountains. If you’re more in the mood to visit cities, then I would recommend Košice, but never flown to their airport. It seems to be expensive, but on the east side of Košice, there is also a smaller GA field with a paved and grass runway (Bidovce).

eddsPeter wrote:

Liege isn‘t as bad as mentioned above. We have been there last year for a night. The older part of Liege is not big but nice, we found several very good places to eat. And finally it was not the highlight of our trip but a nice stop over.
Well, I have to agree with @boscomantico regarding the city. It is an awful place and the most unfriendly people I’ve ever experienced, especially to me as a Dutch person, even if I try to speak my best French. In France, people always help me out if I try French, but not in Liège. I had also my worst ATC experience with the controllers in Liège so far, but didn’t land at their airport. If you want a nice place to visit in the east of Belgium, I would recommend Spa. Nice airfield with a good runway, friendly people and a nice town as well.
Last Edited by Frans at 21 Aug 08:51
Switzerland

Liege really is the pits.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

It seems, that I was the only one who made good experiences with Liege.

EDDS , Germany

Ok, I’m taking away from this that Liege is not the one. Thanks everyone!

Hamburg… it is what it is. I’ll report back on actual fees.

Prague we’re going to use Vodochy, 24 hour notice if you need customs (don’t think we do), €28 for two tons landing, €1.09/hour parking. These are all per ton so can be extrapolated.

We set off for Rotterdam tomorrow, very excited, even managed to bag the CitizenM for €110 (basic but has everything you actually want in a hotel).

Not sure exactly where we’ll go after Prague yet, can be decided later. I’ll stick some updates on here as we go in the hope that someone else finds them useful.

United Kingdom

Hamburg was about 130-160 (can’t remember) for Friday night to Sunday noon, for a DA42 1785 kg.

Everything was very efficient

Sounds like a nice trip plan,

If you don’t like geetting “handled” at Rotterdam you may try Breda Int (Seppe) from the UK, it is a long way to visit Rotterdam city (40min train from Roosendal + 15 min taxi or bike) but doable if you don’t like the big airport feel…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message