Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA fly-in Saturday the 19th Oct (and 15th Dec) 2019

Bumping this thread

I won’t be around on 15th Dec however so I hope you all have a nice time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The 15th might work. And yes, for such a bimble, the turbulent would still be plane of choice :).

Maybe with the cold ATC would actually take pity and grant me those transits I’ve been asking for!

Peter wrote:

to intimidate all the retractables with your taildraggers

Will have to check with @Noe if he still in open cockpit mood both in grass & air: icing does feel very harsh in a Turb and can be easily detected/cleared by licking lips, I figure out this while we were looking for holes to descend through a freezing layer last winter

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Oct 12:51
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Here’s another chance for ya all to intimidate all the retractables with your taildraggers

Administrator

Sorry to keep you guys waiting in the cold, I did may best taxying fast out of the way after that personalized RT call :)

ATC at Shoreham were top managing the flow, unlike some flyins where you get “runway exit/taxi taxi instructions” as you flare !

Also turns out that ECMWF forecast turned out to be more accurate than ICON or GFS – Good thing as had any of the latter materialized, we would have likely turned back before reaching shoreham.

Kudos to ATC who were super friendly (My friend Alex (in yellow & red Turbulent) and myself (in the red one) got a very warm welcome, with the “tower lady” even coming down and chatting with us for 5-10 minutes.

Probably got some sympathy factor in with these tiny planes, no one even asked us about yellow jackets!

Having skids, we generally dislike using Tarmac (in fact, we changed Alex’s tail skid before departing), so ATC suggested if we waited a bit for (who happened to be Ibra) to taxi, out, we could go “the wrong way” on the taxiway and backtrack the runway. Very nice gesture, while a lot of places would probably say that they were too busy to accommodate non standard stuff.

Can’t comment on the quality of the breakfast, we gave the money for it to the charity box – it looked very big and might have upset the W&B on our little Turbs.

We wanted to have a little sightseeing of the thames up to city airport, but ATC said they were too busy for non transponding aircraft. A bit disappointing, as we only asked this because we were withing the period where City airport is closed.

Nice to meet Peter, we ended up having a little spare space to take back some leaflets to Damyn’s Hall.

There were lots of photographers, but haven’t been able to find any pictures yet (other than the posted by Peter)

Last Edited by Noe at 21 Oct 09:21

Yes, yesterday was a super day at Shoreham: traffic well handled and weather was far beyond expectations !
The seaside was super nice and only 10 min walk if you know the right shortcut

It was a great day, with perfect weather

Great to meet several new faces.

There was a lot of traffic but ATC did a great job.

Administrator

Now we know what happened to him

Administrator
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message