Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Bank Holiday Trip to Worcester

10 Posts

Saturday night, while enjoying a rare windless evening at an outdoor cafe in Port Erin, margarita in hand, we looked at the weather. It was one of those rare events where there’s nothing but sunshine symbols over virtually the entire British Isles. And so on a whim we decided to go to Worcester (a town where I spent a few years as a teenager). Tina had never been there, so it’d be something new. And it’s the heart of Archers Country (no one can really decide if “Felpisham” in the Archers is either Worcester or Evesham) and guess what we listen to every Sunday on the way to the airfield…

Gloucestershire/EGBJ is probably the best place for Worcester. Long opening hours, no draconian 12 hour notice requirement for Special Branch, so it’s somewhere we can go at the drop of a hat (so I didn’t have to worry about getting the forms correct post-margarita). Cheltenham Spa train station is only 3mi/5km away, and you can hire a car there, and there’s a reasonable cafe/restaurant there too. (Unfortunately taxis are absurdly expensive, I think the local taxi firms assume we are all incredibly rich and gouge people going the 3 miles to the train station).

It’s quite an easy flight to plan for us, too:

First to Ronaldsway to fuel up, then almost direct – just a small jog in the route via Welshpool to provide adequate spacing from an airspace shelf east of Colwyn Bay and the bit of airspace north of Oswestry. Out at FL55, back at FL65.

Of course, while the British Isles was mostly basking in sunshine, the Isle of Man has other ideas…

Warm airflow over a cooler sea means you can get fog over the sea, and it can blow inland. The fog here is just lapping up against Peel on the west of the Isle of Man, and a bank of fog just touching the southern side of Ronaldsway meant we asked for an SVFR clearance. I was a bit concerned the fog might roll in and then we’d be stuck (I missed out on a flight in a Beech 18 that way a couple of years ago), but in that case we’d just get the bus home and retrieve the plane a bit later. Despite the official visibility of 2.5km on the ATIS, we could actually see runway 26 from a good 10km out. The land was warm enough to prevent the low cloud from getting in any further.

We departed in the event without issues, and climbed to FL55.The north Wales coast also had a bit of cloud for the same reason, with the peaks of the mountains in the Snowdonia National Park sticking through them. We coasted in at Conwy.

Fighting a headwind, it seemed to take an awful long time to cross the sea (it seemed like hours, but it was only about 40 minutes or so), and even longer to cross Wales to arrive at Gloucestershire, but with the air being smooth, the plane almost flew itself there all by itself. Once trimmed out, the Auster needs only the odd nudge of the rudder pedals to keep on track.

We brought our own ground transportation in the form of a pair of Bromptons, that fit nicely in the back of the Auster and don’t weigh too much (the Auster J1 was originally a 3 seater, so we have quite a lot of room in the back). The route to Cheltenham station is easy on a bike, and when staying in a city I find a car is just a huge liability and takes away enjoyment of a city visit. Bikes are just so much more practical for a city visit.

We had a bit of time before the train, so we bimbled up the Honeybourne trail (on the former railway line) into Cheltenham, after we found the station.

I was quite pleased when an HST rolled into the station, rather than a scabby old Sprinter :-) Proper locomotives and coaches are so much better – a lot quieter, and a very nice way to travel.

Worcester Shrub Hill station just about manages to get three centuries of railway technology into one place: semaphore signalling from the 19th century, the HST from the 20th century, and the Azuma from the 21st century. I could almost get it into a single shot, but not quite!

We stayed at the Diglis House Hotel on the River Severn. I can really recommend it. View the next morning from the other side of the river:

I think no visit to Worcester is complete without a trip to the Cardinal’s Hat (especially if you like non-mass produced ciders and beer), it’s a pub with the CAMRA seal of approval (Campaign for Real Ale)

…although remember not to drink too much of the scrumpy cider unless you want to end up grounded for a full 24 hours!

The next day dawned a bit misty, but it was a perfectly pleasant day for an after-breakfast wander down the riverside – down to the new footbridge past the weir, then back up the other side to the main road bridge over the river, then back down to the cathedral – which dominates the Worcester skyline.

Historical flood levels at the watergate, just off College Green:

One of the locks of the Diglis area – this one for boats to get past the weir. There’s also a nearby set of locks for the canal.

The weir on the other side of the locks:

The clouds began to break up as we started nearing Worcester Cathedral:

This area’s also a swan sanctuary. The Glover’s Needle is in the background.

The Glover’s Needle

Even if you’re atheist, the cathedral is worth a visit – it’s an awe-inspiring piece of architecture that took centuries to build.
This photo is from the garden/graveyard inside the cloisters:

And one last tea ceremony at the Diglis before we unfolded the bikes and headed off towards Shrub Hill Station:

Finally, the weather was perfect for departure (albeit warm, it hit 30C, and despite the Auster’s good climb performance, the increased density altitude over what I normally have was noticeable, especially since we were pretty much right up to MTOW). As normal, north Wales had attracted a bit of cloud which meant the mountains weren’t so evident from our perch at FL65.

But these were pretty much the only clouds on the entire trip, arriving back at Ronaldsway, the skies were crystal clear – and it was also a good deal cooler too!

It was our first trip with the Bromptons, and we’re really happy we got them. They ride really well, fold up small for taking on planes and trains, and if you’re going for a wander on foot there’s no problem leaving them folded at the hotel.

Some interesting observations:

We passed the Long Mynd gliding club. We could see glider activity on Skydemon, being retransmitted by the OGN (Open Glider Network) via the PilotAware. We also saw a powered parachute radiating either PilotAware or ADS-B (or possibly with an OGN beacon or FLARM, and getting rebroadcast to us by the OGN). However, at our altitude, neither the gliders would be able to get near us, and the powered parachute wouldn’t even bother trying :-) There was one GA aircraft also going to Ronaldsway on the way back – a lot faster than us, only radiating Mode-C. However, because both of us were on London Information, and I heard him check in, we had a pretty good idea of what his track would be even though we can only see the height of Mode-C only targets. He duly showed up, with the relative altitude, on Skydemon as he passed.

Last Edited by alioth at 27 Aug 19:52
Andreas IOM

Nice trip. If I’d have known I’d have been happy to pick you up from EGBJ and taken you to the train station.

LKTB->EGBJ, United Kingdom

Great report; many thanks for posting it

It’s a nice part of the UK to live in. Great scenery down below, with lots of freedom from crazy airspace. I would be doing sightseeing flights all the time, over Snowdonia etc.

The yellow of your plane matches the first train

Maybe we should have a fly-in to the IOM? Or Welshpool? I haven’t been there for ages (either of them) even though Welshpool was one of my highest landing count airports years back.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great to see someone using a classic tailwheel type for a nice touring trip

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes indeed. Vintage tailwheel types should tour, and weather permitting I will be touring in the Vagabond 24-29 Sept. No folding bicycle for me, but I will take a tent for camping under the wing.

Worcester is lovely. Very nice pictures and glad you enjoyed it. The pub looks excellent!

EGLM & EGTN

I’m no stranger to touring with a vintage tailwheel aircraft, I flew coast to coast in the USA (some 100 hours of flight time) in my Cessna 140 in 2002, along with many other quite long trips. The Auster’s a bit easier than the C140, more room and a much better useful load :-) but alas, not one knot faster!

Last Edited by alioth at 30 Aug 08:40
Andreas IOM

Great trip report, Gloucestershire/EGBJ is a nice place to be in sunny days, that advection fog is impressive!

alioth wrote:

It was our first trip with the Bromptons, and we’re really happy we got them. They ride really well, fold up small for taking on planes and trains, and if you’re going for a wander on foot there’s no problem leaving them folded at the hotel.

Leaving them at the hotel reception is no problem, at the hotel room it depends, still nothing prevents you from going down at 2am to “collect them”

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Aug 10:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

alioth wrote:

I flew coast to coast in the USA (some 100 hours of flight time) in my Cessna 140 in 2002

I have just finished reading Flight of Passage by Rinker Buck, so a US coast-to-coast in a vintage taildragger is now on my bucket list.

EGLM & EGTN

alioth wrote:

The Auster’s a bit easier than the C140

Not easier to land surely? My few experiences in an Auster were not pretty

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Perhaps not easier to land. However, on grass the Auster is pretty well behaved, and with the extra dorsal fin which ours has (like what’s on the Beagle Husky) can cope with a surprisingly high crosswind. It’s just on hard surfaces it can be bit bouncy. We put new landing gear bungees in about 18 months ago which made it even bouncier, and she’ll go crowhopping down the runway whether at gross weight or almost empty!

I also ought to take my writeup for the big US trip and re-do it (probably rescan the photos with a more modern scanner)

Last Edited by alioth at 30 Aug 16:16
Andreas IOM
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message