Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR to Croatia

Hi,

Last year I did a 2-week Italy / Corsica flying holiday. The flight report can be found here; https://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/9867-flying-holiday-belgium-italy-france-report?page=1).

This year I’m planning to go to Croatia for the first time (Mali Losinj & Brac).
Due to fuel reserves and comfort I like to limit the flights to +/- 2,5h.

The rough routing I had in mind for the first part of the trip (Let’s call this Plan 1):
Day 1: Fly from Belgium to the foothills of the Alps (EDNL – Leutkirch-Unterzeil ?).
Day 2: Cross the Alps from EDNL to Lido (LIPV) via the Brenner pass.
Day 3: Fly from Lido (Customs) to Mali Losinj (Customs)

In case of bad weather over the Alps I tought about this route (Let’s call this Plan 2);
Day 1: Fly from Belgium to Wr. Neustadt – LOAN (Or something nice in the area).
Day 2: Fly from Wr. Neustadt (LOAN) to Portoroz (LJPZ)
Day 3: Fly from Portoroz (Customs) to Mali Losinj (Customs)

Questions:
Plan 1
- I never took the Brenner route, is there anything I should know before flying this route (GAFOR LO10 – LO50)
- Any tips for hotels near EDNL, or another airport in the area that is recommended (English radio, (any) fuel available and nearby route to Brenner Pass)

Plan 2
- Do you think this is a good backup plan, or are there other (better) options?
- Is Wr. Neustadt – LOAN a nice place to visit or what would be a better option?
- Any recommendation for a fuel stop between Belgium and LOAN (English radio, (any) fuel available?)

Last general question; Is there any special form I need to use / file in advance to enter Croatia, or should I just ask for customs at Portoroz or Lido and it should work out fine…

A lot of questions, I know :)
I hope somebody can help

Jens

EBMO, EBKT

Hi Jens,

I just visited Mali Losinj this year’s easter. Just write me a PM, we can phone then if you want…

Tobias

EDSO, Germany

What plane, and do you have oxygen?

If it is the WT9, how high will it go?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter it’s the WT9, I don’t have oxygen so I would say 12k max. Last year I crossed via the Mont Cenis Lake and flew max 11k.

EBMO, EBKT

I made the Tauern-Route in 12k feet as well, I was fine (but I sure know that this depends on every single person) – so I would say the Brenner should be no problem at all.

EDSO, Germany

I visited Lošinj two weeks ago. Great island, especially Veli Lošinj was very beautiful. Landed there during Bora, which was quite challenging. But if the winds are ok, then there is nothing to worry about regardings the flying aspect. I will make also a video of the flights, but the release will come too late for you I guess.

To make it clear, you don’t need customs if you’re traveling to Croatia, since it’s part of the EU. You only need to pass immigration on each side of the border. Lošinj does have immigration during operational hours, no prior notice needed, just file a flight plan and you’ll be fine. Staff on site is very friendly and helpfull. Taxi into town costs 50 euros for both ways and can be paid at the airport restaurant, which also has very good and cheap food. I also searched for Uber or Bolt drivers, but they are very rare on the island. Don’t worry if nobody is answering the radios, since the Tower is only active during the weekends and fridays. Pula Radar will tell you upon approach.

Be careful on the beaches though, I injured my left feet quite badly from sea urchins and other nasty creatures. Needed surgery after returning home with a big swollen foot. Next time, I will take my water shoes with me.

Regarding oxygen: It depends really on each person when oxygen is required. I’m fine being at 13.000 ft for a while, but some people rapidly feel uncomfortable. Be sure not to push yourself too much, but for the Brenner, high altitudes aren’t an issue.

Last Edited by Frans at 27 Aug 21:27
Switzerland

Frans wrote:

Taxi into town costs 50 euros for both ways

Ouch… we were at 15 Euros for both ways. Did you have contact with Danijela? She’s the one arranging the taxis between the El Paso bar at the airfield and Maili Losinj…

Regarding the evil water creatures: Yepp, they’ll be hurting you a lot, so you’ll definitely need some shoes under water :-)

Best regards, Tobias

EDSO, Germany

jvdo wrote:

Is Wr. Neustadt – LOAN a nice place to visit or what would be a better option?

No. the town is nothing special at all. You could go to Bad Vöslau LOAV and take a train to Vienna. That’s definitely worth a visit. If you wanted to cross the Alps at a lower level, you could go via Linz (LOWL) and Graz (LOWG). Both are international airports (albeit with very little CAT), English and fuel no problem. Don’t know current fees. Both cities, while small, are also nice to visit.

Whatever you end up doing, go in the morning, as early as possible. In summer you can bet on having CB buildups in the afternoons.

I injured my left feet quite badly from sea urchins and other nasty creatures.

We fly to Losinj all the time but just recently started to rent a boat. The best idea ever. The places you can reach by boat are much nicer than what can be reached by car or bike and jumpng from the boat to swim also solves the problem with the “nasty creatures” waiting on all the shore rocks. Also on the island to the south Ilovik there is a great restaurant where you can dock the boat right next to the table.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

TobiasM wrote:

Ouch… we were at 15 Euros for both ways. Did you have contact with Danijela? She’s the one arranging the taxis between the El Paso bar at the airfield and Maili Losinj…
Ups… I’m bad at remembering names, do you mean one of the airport girls or the girl from the restaurant? We asked for a taxi at El Paso. After having great food for a cheap price, we didn’t had the idea to get ripped off. We paid the taxi to the girl in the restaurant by card, the drivers didn’t got anything from us. Nonetheless, it would be great if Uber and/or Bolt gets some more drivers on the island. It would make stuff a lot more easier and cheaper.

@Sebastian_G: Would love to rent a boat next time as well. How much do they cost?
Last Edited by Frans at 27 Aug 21:54
Switzerland
31 Posts
Sign in to add your message