Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR to Croatia

Hi Frans, she’s the owner of the El Paso restaurant directly at the airport…

EDSO, Germany

Good to know, thanks! As I said, we did pay directly at El Paso by the waitress for the taxi rides. Perhaps the prices are different from low season to high season? 15 vs. 50 euros is a stunning price difference.

Switzerland

172driver wrote:

Don’t know current fees.

For LOWG: Around 20-50€ landing fee between 1 and 2 tons and about 5€ parking for each 24 hours. Public transport (train into city takes 15 minutes).

LOAN town is not too bad for a nightstop though.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sebastian_G wrote:

We fly to Losinj all the time but just recently started to rent a boat. The best idea ever.

Fully agree. Make sure you have a license – they do check now and fines are hefty!

always learning
LO__, Austria

Losinj and some pics here.

The El Paso is a great welcome

Croatia is basically “aviation heaven” with almost every airport having customs/immigration and avgas.

The Alps canyon flying I can’t help with; I always go straight over the top, but 11k is a bit low for that, unless you pick the lower areas. I believe there is a route which basically runs north of SRN; this has the lowest IFR MEA anywhere near the middle of the Alps so is worth looking at. Depart early in the morning to try to beat the buildups, and make use of webcams of which there are many.

It is an ultra scenic trip!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Re boats on Losinj: the prices of course depend on a lot of things. Type, rental oder charter, season, etc. As well as your negotiating skills.

Generally, almost nothing comes cheap in Croatia these days. All prices go up by 10% each year.

As always with boats, it is rare to find a day when it isn’t either too hot, or too cold or too much wave for pleasant boating. But sometimes, you get lucky. Then, it’s a nice thing. From Mali Losinj,

I have done the “classic” tour to Susak (for swimming, sandy beach there) and then to Ilovik for lunch at one of the shoreside restaurants there and then, after another swim in the middle of the sea, drinks in Veli Losinj in the afternoon. Hard to beat.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 28 Aug 06:43
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Frans wrote:

@Sebastian_G: Would love to rent a boat next time as well. How much do they cost?

We did pay 230 Euro for a day plus fuel for 150 hp, 6,30m boat with sunroof etc. Definitely get a boat with sunroof if you can as sitting directly in the sun all day long is not that great. The company is MCL boat charter. This did include the ride to and from the airport. And as others wrote you defintely need a boat license. I am not sure if they can rent you less powerful boats without.

Regarding prices Croatia is not cheap but still mostly good value compared to other places. At Elba Island we did not get a boat but the flyers I saw suggested it would have been much more expensive.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Peter wrote:

I believe there is a route which basically runs north of SRN; this has the lowest IFR MEA anywhere near the middle of the Alps so is worth looking at.

There are several IFR routes between the Zurich and Milan areas (SRN) that have 14000 MEA: N850, M858, N851 depending upon direction. All the other crossings, from the French Alps over to eastern Austria, seem to be 16’000 or higher AFAIK.

LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks for the feedback. For now it looks like Sunday morning would be the best to cross the Alps. On Monday morning there will be bad weather probably.

If we make a stop at Lido, what would be the best (and not too expensive) way to get to the center?
Which area (or specific hotel) is recommended to stay for 1 or max 2 nights?

Thanks

EBMO, EBKT

jvdo wrote:

If we make a stop at Lido, what would be the best (and not too expensive) way to get to the center?

Which area (or specific hotel) is recommended to stay for 1 or max 2 nights?

Ask them to call a boat during approach. It will be waiting for you after landing just 15 meters outside the airport building and take you on a scenic and quick ride to Piazza San Marco. It’s about 50-70€ one way. But worth it.

Alternative:
Take the public Bus (right outside by the airport) or a taxi to Lido Center and hop on a public boat to Venice.

Compare prices on Booking. Venice is one of the most tourist intense areas of the world and prices can go crazy. I like to stay somewhere on the main road on Lido, it’s right by some nice restaurants and walking distance to the beach.

always learning
LO__, Austria
Sign in to add your message