Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR to Croatia

Hey jvdo

as for your Day 1 Plan:

EDNL is a nice field with a long runway (about 1000m), parking is on a grass apron, witch is in good shape..
Hotels are rare in the region, sadly. MOGAS and AVGAS is available, but i dont know the prices (skydemon reports 98octane MOGAS at 1,89€/liter)

You could also fly to nearby Hohenems LOIH, witch has a 630m Concrete Runway. Parking is on Concrete too. Much more Hotel options. 95Octane MOGAS (5% Ethanol witch is fine for the Rotaxes) at 1,38€ or AVGAS at 1,95€
The City of Dornbirn is about a 10min taxi ride. Or you could go to Bregenz and enjoy a nice evening directly at Lake Constance, Taxi to Bregenz is about 40€ eatch way. There are a Bunch of nice Restaurants in both Cities.

From there you can also reach the Brennerpass pretty easily. Also LOIH opens at 08:00 instead of 09:00 for EDNL if you want to depart as early as possible :)

Austria

Your plan looks great !

Kempten EDMK is known for its cheap fuel, you may look into it.

LFOU, France

Thanks for all the feedback! What do you think about the weather over the Alps on Sunday morning. I think it will be the only chance, the days after aren’t looking good.

Last Edited by jvdo at 30 Aug 14:33
EBMO, EBKT

Will be on my way back, it better be good.
Forecasts look OK, from lunchtime there is an increased risk of TS and rain.

EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

Will be on my way back, it better be good.
Forecasts look OK, from lunchtime there is an increased risk of TS and rain.

I’ll be flying to Kempten Durach tomorrow, and depart at 9 AM when the airport opens, so around 11-11h30 AM I’ll arrive at Lido, hopefully before I encounter any weather.

EBMO, EBKT

In the meanwhile we have visited Venice, Mali Losinj and Brac. Tomorrow I’ll fly to Portoroz and on Wednesday we will return home to Belgium.

I was thinking of flying from Portoroz via Bled, Villach, Dobbiaco, Brenner to Kempten for fuel.

Would this be a good option or should I consider other / better routes to Germany. (I need fuel after 3h at 115kt).

Thanks in advance for the options, I’ll write a trip report when I’m back home!

EBMO, EBKT

If you are heading to Kempten – which I would check beforehand reg. current conditions after days of heavy rain onto the grass field – then flying west and then towards Padova Trento Bolzano Innsbruck Kempten could be easier.
Your route keeps you at high terrain with often clouds around peaks.

If Kempten doesnt work, you could take a more easterly route passing Klagenfurt, Salzburg and stopping at EDQK Kulmbach w/avgas for 1.98/L.
And then due west home ;-)

EDM_, Germany

Sounds like a great trip. Routing sounds good and obviously depends on weather. Alternative would be to go north over the alps (Villach, LOSM, LOWS and then turn west to KPT).

always learning
LO__, Austria

Translated so pardon the robotic tone:

FLIGHT WEATHER FORECAST FOR THE ENTIRE ALPINE SPACE,
issued on Monday, 09.09.2019 at 14:00 lct.
Development of weather conditions and distinctive wind systems:

Tuesday:
Nestled in a slightly foehned southwest current attacks one
Occlusion from France to the southern western Alps.
The day begins in the Western Alps with often dense mid-high and
high cloud fields and it is already first rain showers in the
down to the French Alps. In the Eastern Alps show up at the beginning
widespread deep-based Stratus- or fog fields, which are up to
Have dissolved at midday. During the day show up in the Eastern Alps
good VMC with only dense cirrus fields and low swelling.
In the southern western Alps the cloud bases sink in the morning
and it uses moderate rain. Below FL140 is along the
Northern side of the Alps with slight to moderate fouls turbulence too
expected.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Hi @Snoopy, I will do the flight on Wednesday, do you have this same forcast for this day? According to Topmeteo the full Alps region will be good!

@ch.ess it doesn’t need to be Kempten any other field north of the Alps with ENG radio and fuel is fine for me!

Last Edited by jvdo at 09 Sep 20:28
EBMO, EBKT
Sign in to add your message