Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Low-level military flying in Italy

So there’s a permanent NOTAM in Italy about military low flying, pointing to the Italian AIP:

LIIC-M4800/19
Q) LIXX/QRMTT/IV/ BO/ W/000/999/4200N01300E350
A) LIBB LIMM LIRR
B) 2019 Oct 10 00:00 C) 2019 Oct 24 23:59
E) TRIGGER NOTAM-PERM MILAIP AIRAC AMDT A9/19
EFFECTIVE DATE 10 OCT 2019
REVIEW OF MILAIP ENR 5.2.2.6
SECTION ‘VERY LOW LEVEL MILITARY AIRCRAFT ACTIVITY’
F) SFC
G) UNL

The AIP section ENR 5.2.2.6 has some info on the nature of these flights, but what worries me:

• If I understand correctly, the AIS says that these flights can happen any weekday in large geographic areas (cf. “Emilia” or “Toscana”) at a typical GA altitude (due to airspace in Northern Italy), and without the usual speed limitations.
  • I haven’t found a way to make SkyDemon show the extent of these military low flying areas (except for manually entering the coordinates).

Is the idea that FIS knows and informs about those flights if necessary? Or is there another way to get details on military low flying for a certain date (such as the French “AZBA” charts)?

LFHN, LSGP, LFHM

I would not worry about this. For example the UK is full of notams like this. Just don’t fly at low level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“SFC-UNL”….

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Just don’t fly at low level

Who knows what’s going on in Italy… Anyway, Skydemon is pretty useless for this. We have lots of military training areas. They have all lower limits corresponding to the lowest limit of controlled airspace. The idea is to route traffic (IFR mostly) around them, no problem in controlled airspace. The AIP also say that the airspace below could be used as well, all to the ground, and if so they will tell the military about civilian activity there, and of course civilian traffic about the military activity.

Flying the normal way, with a squawk and in contact with ATS, this is no issue at all.

Military low flying is another matter entirely. It is done independent of any training area, thus Skydemon won’t work no matter what.

Skydemon will help you exactly zero with military flying.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message