Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norwich charge £99 for practice approach.

I have just been charged £99 for a single practice ILS to go around at Norwich as part of my IR renewal.

They are charging me £27 for the approach and £52 for handling. They insist that this is correct, no error has been made. They tried to charge me over £200 to start with.

Is this what we expect?

EGKB Biggin Hill

How do they justify handling? Because of a “disbursement”? I would have thought a “disbursement” is if they have to pay someone else that’s not airport related.

https://www.norwichairport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/NWI-Fees-Charges-FY20.pdf

You have a bit more experience than me, but have you asked where it said “handling mandatory”?

The only section about handling of the fees of charges referts to “Ground handling”, which, as I understand, could not have applied to you.

£27 + £52 is £79, not £99, for a start…! Do they add VAT and other fees?

A nonsense.

Last Edited by Katamarino at 25 Oct 17:11
Kent, UK

I don’t remember the exact figures, they are indicative, but I assume that VAT makes up the difference.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I made a practice ILS approach to Norwich in October 2018 (no landing, only go around). The invoice consisted of £17.68 for “Training Landing Approach Fee”, £32.00 for “Light Aircraft Training Landing/Handling Fee” and 10% disbursement charge (£1.77). Plus VAT 20% it resulted in total £61.74. The “handling” was made by SaxonAir Flying Club. I also found a charge for handling to be ridiculous, but they said it did not matter whether I had landed or not.

LCPH, Cyprus

SaxonAir is the only feasible way for light GA to fly to Norwich nowadays. Last time I went, maybe 2 years ago, it was about £50, which is ok for the occassional visit to Norwich. There have been other ways, by arrangement with individuals, or schools, but last time I knew about this was many years ago.

Why they should charge handling on a missed approach, is utterly bizzare.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

An IR renewal Timothy? I thought you keep yours current every six months.

EGBW, United Kingdom

Reval, sorry. But that’s not really the point.

For SaxonAir to charge £52 +VAT for handling an aircraft that doesn’t land is worse than outrageous.

If they do pursue it, I’ll do everything I can to ensure that they make a loss on the transaction.

EGKB Biggin Hill

I was charged more than three times that at Bournemouth which makes it look a bargain. Surely Lydd, Jersey, Guernsey, or pretty much anywhere in Northern France would be the answer.

Surely this comes close to breaking some law?
If I drive past the airport, and slow down a little, will I have to pay for their carpark?

United Kingdom
26 Posts
Sign in to add your message