Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Puts a damper on this one then…

Has anybody ever seen an approach chart and conditions for the use of the Lukla airport? I had a look for fun a while ago and it seemed to be missing in the Jeppesen plates. Probably it is not open at all and some kind of private field for the small airlines operating there…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Has anybody ever seen an approach chart and conditions for the use of the Lukla airport?

It is strictly open to trained crew of operating carriers only. I doubt they’d let anyone in otherwise and I also doubt it is wise to do so. I’ll try to ask a friend who flies there (PC6 from there to the upwards fields) if he has a chart, if one exists.

You can try it on various variants of Flight Simulator though. real good sceneries exist for FS2004 upwards.

This here is the rendition in FS2020. I must say it is almost good enough to finally succomb and buy it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Now from EGKA I would say :
EGKA – Alderney – Chausey – Mt St Michel – St Malo – all the coast to Molène – Sein – Pointe du Raz – Southern coast to Vannes (golfe du Morbihan) – EGKA
And the return leg goes just over St Vaast la Hougue.

Or the Chateaux de la Loire :
EGKA – LFOZ- following the Loire downstream (Chambord, Blois, Amboise, Chenonceaux, Azay le Rideau, Saumur, Angers) – EGKA

LFOU, France

Peter,

a bit more seriously, the obvious mountain to target would be the famous “Monte Toblerone”, otherwise known as Matterhorn.

I was going to do that on the original Jungfrau flight but it would burn another ~5 USG and the “net zero wind” LFOB came out at 15USG (I landed with 15.3) and taking 5 off that is way too close. The Matterhorn will be done properly on my first trip to Croatia

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The Matterhorn will be done properly on my first trip to Croatia

To Croatia? Not quite on the straight line UK-Croatia… more like south of France and Nice. Would have worked on the Mont Blanc Tour as well.

Peter wrote:

The Matterhorn will be done properly on my first trip to Croatia
Don’t forget to do that during the weekend, or during the week between 12 am and 1 pm or after 5 pm, otherwise Swiss ATC is “happy” to send you down again below FL130.
Switzerland

Now that’s genuinely useful info @Frans – very many thanks!

Got to do an early start to do EGKA-Matterhorn before 1200 UTC Or is it 12 am local?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

the military times are published in local. Note that they’re usually not flying on holidays

ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

and whilst on the subject of scenic stuff in the Alps… there’s a lot

Experimenting with an Insta360 atop the VS on my RV-6.9 last year in the vicinity of some… see next page…

Last Edited by Dan at 08 May 09:06
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message