Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A trip to the Alps to get nice photos (and a video)

We plan to do a club fly from LFMD to Annemasse passing by Mont Blanc in early march. What plane did you fly to these altitude, just for information. I plan to take a tb10 but it’s not a rocket…

LFMD, France

Tecnam P2002. Only me on board, and fuel at take off clearly under 3/4 of its capacity. On a not especially cold day, even being early, as it was in august.
Anyway, the Tecnam / Rotax tandem performs really well compared with heavier, not overpowered, aircraft.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

This one is not going to happen until next winter because AFAICS all the countries you could land in (and stay overnight because the Alps are too far to do it as a day trip) have closed their airports to “foreign” arrivals.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This looks quite relevant.

Administrator

I am looking at this and would much appreciate input on which mountains to take in on the movie.

Deffo I want to do the Matterhorn (properly this time; here I didn’t get a good summit shot) and that is 6-6.5hrs nonstop return from EGKA. But on the way back towards the west there is other stuff…

Administrator

The high Swiss alpine peaks are well known. But there are other bits of the Alps which are even more dramatic in some ways, for example:

• The two lakes straddling Interrlaken, especially close up along the v steep ridge on the N side of the Brieenzersee
  • The long slow descent into Sion, start at say Vevey at FL 80 at the E end of Lac Leman, fly close by the Rochers de Naye above Montreux and then into the valley South to Martigny and then E to S to Sion
  • the flight in pretty much a straight line Chamonix and Gap in the southern French Alps is really something. All the French ski resorts slide by underneath and the western escarpment or slopes of the range have some really interesting geology. Big hideout for the resistance during WW2.
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I find the Walensee with the Churfirsten always very beautiful, although it’s a bit on the other side of Switzerland from the Matterhorn. Closer to Interlaken there are Jungfrau, Monch, and Eiger: definitely not ugly.

This shows the Swiss ICAO-map and you can blend that away and get the swiss hiking maps. Those show the contours of the terrain quite nicely. Although hiking altitudes are in meters, not feet.

LSZH, Switzerland

This section of the map shows the Matterhorn in the bottom right and due to the fuel situation I would be looking for routes there and back from the UK which is in the top left direction.

The mountain portion of the flight would be under VFR so – subject to any RAs etc – one can go anywhere.

Administrator

A fuel stop in Annecy then go by col de balme, may make it? Apart from very busy airspace around mont blanc, it should be a nice sightseeing way.

LFMD, France

Assuming you still want to do this without stopping, I would route via Dijon DJL in both directions. On way into Switzerland, after DJL ask for direct Lausanne LSGL, cancel IFR at Lausanne to start your Alpine Tour, and rejoin IFR around St Prex SPR (just west of Lausanne, pronounced San Pray) then DJL for the return.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message