Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How can an airport just close to GA for a couple of months for no reason? (Scilly Isles EGHE)

Is there something like a forum or local paper which allows comments on the Scillies? Maybe a nicely worded letter to the editor or comment would make the folks there aware just how much a general aviation crew spend if they can land there.

Somehow the whole attitude as bosco rightly wrote sais it all. No, we don’t want traffic = work. Well, bollocks. If you run an airport then this kind of thing is like a shopkeeper who wants to keep clients who only shop for small money out, not many survive that. If I owned that airport, such lazy jobsworths would be kicked out and people who live and like aviation installed instead. We have far too many people running such facilities who think of their salary and a quiet workday more than of what they actually are supposed to do.

I can see the same attitude displayed up to even international aviation hubs… where clients are discouraged, priced out or officially banned because the management does not care as even the KFC in the terminal generates more money. Well, if they act like that, imho regulation is needed to keep them in line. Or e.g. fines for every day they have to close their facilities to any sort of traffic because they fail to maintain the airport in a way that it can be operated.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

What a great idea. A google on
scilly isles newspaper
digs out several, as well as a FB site.

I’ve contacted them all

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I’ve contacted them all

Peter: If you could either publicise here (or PM me) the Newspaper(s) editor’s address that you think are well-read in The Scilly’s, I would willingly write using my ‘official’ title and University address.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

Just getting more vindictive here for a moment.

If here people are being prosecuted under the provisions of a felony called “Disturbing air traffic” either unwittingly or wilfully, I wonder if charges could be brought to people like that for willfully disturbing air traffic, which is a felony in the same cathegory of hijack, unruly passengers and so on. By denying parking when there IS parking, they willfully disturb the flow of air traffic from and to their airport. So I do muse here if criminal proceedings against such lazy fools might put an end to it.

The same goes for their colleagues in Greece and elsewhere, where silly opening hours or fake parking restrictions are constructed to keep people away.

Maybe the legal eagles here could comment or look up if something can be done here.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 26 Nov 10:35
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But, please get real: would you guys really accept to get parked on a wet, muddy grass area in the winter season in St. Mary’s? (Which it will be in most of the next few months, at least most of the time).
With your loved aircraft, without being offered help if you sink in (which you will)? And be stuck on the island on a Sunday afternoon?

FORGET about hard stand parking. The main apron is just too small and needed for the commercial aircraft. They will NOT make that possible, unless maybe it is one aircraft total…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Nov 10:38
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The sentiment from my side, is that they could have issued (should have stopped at issuing?) a warning NOTAM with “risk of grass parking (only parking available for non-based GA aircraft) being waterlogged and unusable” and then let people come… Reasonable people will make a quick phone call before coming to check the state of the parking.

I also wouldn’t mind short-term NOTAMs like issuing day-by-day “grass parking waterlogged and unusable; no other parking available for non-based GA aircraft”, with the end time tagged with “EST”(imated), or even “heavy rain forecast; grass parking likely to become waterlogged and unusable; no other parking available for non-based GA aircraft”. That’s what NOTAMs are for.

ELLX

would you guys really accept to get parked on a wet, muddy grass area in the winter season in St. Mary’s? (Which it will be in most of the next few months, at least most of the time).
With your loved aircraft, without being offered help if you sink in (which you will)? And be stuck on the island on a Sunday afternoon?

It is the pilot’s risk. Some are better than others. Tailwheel types are generally much better than say a TB20 or a DA42.

The grass at EGHE is well drained and won’t stay waterlogged for long.

FORGET about hard stand parking. The main apron is just too small and needed for the commercial aircraft. They will NOT make that possible, unless maybe it is one aircraft total…

Not so IME, from years ago. You could have parked 3 planes, backed up with tails overhanging the grass, as shown by the arrows. The real issue is that somebody decided to paint that parking spot for the commercial flight, right in the middle

Of course one could also park some GA on the light coloured apron at the bottom of the pic.

If you could either publicise here (or PM me) the Newspaper(s) editor’s address that you think are well-read in The Scilly’s, I would willingly write using my ‘official’ title and University address.

I have no names and could not find any. I just went to the top half a dozen google hits for Scilly Isles related newspapers, a radio station, and a FB site, and emailed them, plus posted a comment in the FB page. 1 or 2 sites had no means of contacting them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I just went to the top half a dozen google hits for Scilly Isles related newspapers, a radio station, and a FB site, and emailed them, plus posted a comment in the FB page. 1 or 2 sites had no means of contacting them.

Just call a cousin in the Isles, they tend to use “mouth & ear” around there

Last time I wrecked my aircraft at Lands End grass (9am morning), every passenger inbound in that 5pm Twin Otter flight was talking about it (I was in the same shuttle bus to the train station )

Last Edited by Ibra at 26 Nov 15:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I bet if I wanted to go in there in my private PC12 (I wish), then the airport would miraculously open.
I’ve seen this happen before.

Last Edited by Colin at 26 Nov 17:25
EGLK, United Kingdom

Scilly Isles is one of only two councils in the country that is directly run by the residents, without a national party being involved (the other is Epsom.)

For that reason, I would expect decisions around the airport would very much involve “The Will of the People.”

EGKB Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message