Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly-in Annecy LFLP 19-20 Sep 2020

My little opinion for what it’s worth.

A, Annecy beautiful can’t wait to go back, but too far to drag the wife for an overnight.
B, Lyon lovely, can’t wait to go back but will want 3 days and not be distracted by flying stuff and pilot chat.
C. Antwerp, looks/sounds good, never been, perfect distance for a cheapish weekender/overnight.

United Kingdom

and not be distracted by flying stuff and pilot chat.

On most of our fly-ins, most people disappear with their partners etc except for the main get-together, so “flying talk” is avoided except where specifically desired

I think that’s far better than the highly organised events which other organisations do, which seem to be quite miserable for a lot of participants, as well as requiring substantial €€€ deposits (usually over €200/person) to cover the organisation and to protect the organiser from costs incurred by a lot of people not turning up.

but too far to drag the wife for an overnight.

That’s true for most destinations. I would not do a 3hr flight and stay just 1 night. Why not stay 2 or 3 nights? On our main meet-ups, most stay 2 or 3 nights.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think we would stay 2 night on Anvers or Annecy.

Lyon is so much easier for us in TGV (2h ride), and having friends there, we are less interested by a meet-up.

LFOU, France

Although a bit early with regard to timing, but it might be worth keeping in mind there are three long weekends in May where people might be blocked with family stuff.
Friday, May 1st provides an extended weekend; the weekend thereafter it is Mother’s Day; on May 21st (Thursday) people might take the Friday off to have four days in a row, and on June 1st it is Whit Monday which typically is a holiday as well.
Hence it would be good to have CAVOK all over Europe during the weekend May 16/17?

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

I like the us style fly ins, where everyone gathers at the „flightline“, and shows/talks/presents airplane or newest gadgets fitted. Some go for a quick flight too. It’s a great way to learn about airplanes that oneself doesn’t own or fly.

always learning
LO__, Austria

That’s really nice, to get to know each other. It is better than just a dinner because most people get to talk only to a few near them, and that’s assuming they speak the language

However, we had one fly-in where someone turned up with a video camera and asked everyone to say who they are etc. I got some strong complaints about it afterwards especially as the guy put the video on youtube (he removed it later). In Europe there are many businessmen who do not want their customers to know they fly a plane. I know several of these, myself included.

Friday, May 1st provides an extended weekend; the weekend thereafter it is Mother’s Day; on May 21st (Thursday) people might take the Friday off to have four days in a row, and on June 1st it is Whit Monday which typically is a holiday as well.
Hence it would be good to have CAVOK all over Europe during the weekend May 16/17?

Good point. In the past we normally had the May fly-in around 10th May. Sounds like 16th is the one to go for now.

Administrator

And that is exactly why I do vote for one of these weekends, They are anyway blocked for flying. On a nice location I would like to spend more then just one night, and as I have read in some other posts, that a one night stop is to short, to take wife and family to a location a bit of the road, it would be better to use one of these long weekends.

EDDS , Germany

We have 4 long weekends in France next May

LFOU, France

How about everyone interested joining the telegram group and posting their preferred weekend and I will see which is most popular.

Telegram Group join link https://t.me/joinchat/BcKpDhdRWvUjWIggpaHR7w

Administrator

eddsPeter wrote:

And that is exactly why I do vote for one of these weekends, They are anyway blocked for flying. On a nice location I would like to spend more then just one night, and as I have read in some other posts, that a one night stop is to short, to take wife and family to a location a bit of the road, it would be better to use one of these long weekends.

Exactly. It’s not easy to satisfy everybody but after complaining that some locations are too distant for staying one night there comes the complaint that long weekends are not good for fly-in. The long weekends ARE good for fly-in because they enable the weather flexibility which is definitely needed for any serious touring in Europe. Plus it’s a good opportunity for non-flying companions to be less exposed to intensive flying and to have more time for relaxing weekend. So I propose that we use exactly one of these long weekends (btw not all countries have same holidays).

Fitting fly-in between one zillion other obligations and postponing it after everything else is done leads with no fly-in at all. As we had the opportunity to see this October/November with Zaragaoza. We missed 4 weekends in a row with beautiful weather across all Europe because someone proposed postponing, until November came with its usual grim weather, rain (and snow in some areas) and made fly-in useless because of bad weather at destination and/or impossible for flying because of bad weather en-route.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message