Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFMA to LFMT (Aix to Montpellier)

Hi,

Later this week I need to fly LFMA to LFMT in the evening, around sunset. I could do NVFR or IFR.

I am not familiar but there seem to be a number of restricted areas that I have no clue how easy it may be to obtain a clearance through.

Eurocontrol validates LFMA ITR LFMT which is straightline overhead Istres that has all the restricted airspace around it. Surely LFML approach can easily negotiate an IFR flight through Istres for such a short flight?

OTOH there are VFR routes also via Marseille (LFMA NB LFML HA W2 SD SC SB SA ES LFMT…or is that only for helos?)

The one thing I would not like to end up doing is routing all around the restricted airspace and turning a 25 mins into a 1h flight (like the last time I filed south out of Bristol to Cherbourg and ATC kindly routed us Eastwards via Southampton against my FPL turning a 50 mins flight into a 2hr one…)

Suggestions?

Last Edited by Antonio at 01 Dec 19:43
Antonio
LESB, Spain

The ‘helo’ route

The bigger picture

Antonio
LESB, Spain

IFR SALIN MARRI is a no brainer (VFR in this part of France is quite hazardous for a non-local with all these different airspaces and I would bet that in no way they will let you approach Istres as shown on your map).

LFMA will perhaps keep you on an overhead climb but you’ll quickly get your clearance via almost overhead LFML to SALIN.

Last Edited by Flyamax at 01 Dec 19:44
France

Thanks Flyamax. I could not get it to validate (unlike LFMA ITR LFMT) but eventually climbing higher and either via MTG or dct SALIN does validate as long as I file 6000ft or higher: MTG Y25 SALIN MARRI or SALIN Y25 MARRI do work, thanks!

I am also favouring IFR due to airspace, but I would prefer VFR at lower level if the airspace would allow…again thx!

Last Edited by Antonio at 01 Dec 20:17
Antonio
LESB, Spain

LFMA MARRI MARRI11 LFMT at FL60 validates for me. Eventually ATC gives you SALIN first (to make you cross LFML at the runway end).

Last Edited by Flyamax at 01 Dec 20:48
France

That should do it. _Merci beaucoup!

Antonio
LESB, Spain
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message