Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tannkosh 2013 -- who's coming?

From Aug 23-25, the Tannkosh aviation meeting will take place in Tannheim, Germany. As the name suggests, it's inspired by the EAA meeting in Oshkosh and it is the largest fly-in in Europe by far (unless the weather is bad).

Tannheim is in Southern Germany, near the alps in the direct vicinity of the airport of Memmingen (served by Ryanair). The Tannkosh arrival is very well organized, it's no issue to fly in for people unfamiliar with the area and the grass runway is almost infinite in length and of very good quality (no problem for retractable gear).

As in the years before, Tannkosh has a special customs exemption from the German police so you can fly in from the UK/Switzerland and other countries. You need to submit your details in advance though.

Traditionally one would bring a tent and sleep under/next to the aircraft, there is parking for thousands of aircraft. There are bus transfers to the cities nearby as well. There is usually a good attendance of aviation companies with various specials.

From Sep 23-25, the Tannkosh aviation meeting will take place in Tannheim

Are you sure? The homepage says it's in August...

LSZK, Switzerland

Are you sure? The homepage says it's in August...

Corrected. People might otherwise wonder why there are only 3 aircraft

Not me! I hate crowds!

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Does it have

• ILS
  • Customs
  • Avgas
  • Hard parking (or guaranteed rock- and pothole-free grass)
  • A mandatory Mode C zone so I can see where the 23 inbound planes are?

I might go but would definitely want to get there very early in the day.

Also I would not go if it is grass taxiways and parking, unless I have 1 or 2 passengers to help push the plane if the surface is too bad. Friedrichshafen was really really marginal a couple of years ago.

However, is there anything to see - apart from the 71356 different types of microlights (of which 71350 will never enter production) which is what most of AERO-Friedrischafen tends to be? I've never been there before.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Also I would not go if it is grass taxiways and parking, unless I have 1 or 2 passengers to help push the plane if the surface is too bad.

You'd have 50 people to help you. It is well organized and a TB20 is by all means nothing special there...

However, is there anything to see - apart from the 71356 different types of microlights (of which 71350 will never enter production) which is what most of AERO-Friedrischafen tends to be? I've never been there before.

It's not a trade show, it's the largest fly-in in Europe, modelled after Oshkosh. It's about meeting and enjoying the flying community. The show program is usually quite good with some rare acts. Not too long ago they had a low approach of the A380, that was quite spectacular.

As I said, it does have customs during the show and if you need ILS/red carpet, you can fly to Memmingen EDJA and use the bus transfer. German ATC and AIS has special staff on duty to handle the additional workload. Memmingen will let you fly the ILS for cloud breaking.

EDJA even has a NDB approach, for those who fancy retro style IFR :)

LSZK, Switzerland

If weather permits me to return in time from a prior trip I will be there on Saturday, albeit by car (I know, I know ...). From where I live it is much quicker to drive directly than going to the plane first and then flying over.

Peter, I also have an aversion against grass (just hate the cleaning effort afterwards, especially if the runway is a bit wet), but the runway and taxiways in Tannkosh are ok if it has not been raining extensively. People take PC12s into Tannkosh.

RXH
EDML - Landshut, Munich / Bavaria

I have spend a couple of days in Tannheim last year as t was our base for the Alpeneinweisung. Very nice people who run the place and I assume the days will be full of events. But unfortunatly there are very few hotels, pensions to handle all pilots. We already had to divert like 5 Kilometer to find a suitable Gasthof. I don't want to think how far you have to travel for a Hotel once 20 or 200 other people are there regards detlev

EDHE

Tannkosh means bringing your tent and sleeping under/next to your airplane. Hotels are for sissies.

I've always wanted one of those Cessna wing tents that you just put over the wing but they are overly expensive.

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message