Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The Mach Loop

Has anyone here ever been to the mach loop ? Is it worthwhile, can I fly through or is it military danger zone, etc…. ?
Here’s a video that made me think it could be a worthwhile trip, even if it only means to fly near there and take a rental car… now with Top Gun II coming out and all ;)

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 25 Dec 22:44
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

The loop is situated within operational low flying area LFA7(T). It’s class G, so check the MoD’s Operational Low Flying timetable here, squawk 7000 and fill your boots.

P.S. We’re in LFA20(T) which is similar but not so Welsh. One can keep out of the way of most of the fast jets by staying below 250 ft AGL.

Last Edited by Jacko at 26 Dec 00:03
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

What is special about the Mach loop? Do you get some legal concession to fly below the 500ft min spacing from people etc?

I recall @chrisparker flying through there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think quite the opposite. The Welsh loop is chock full of people with fancy cameras, so it behoves one to be scrupulous about maintaining 500 ft separation from persons, etc.

There are similar “places to be photographed” in northern Britain:

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I just wonder why this place is famous. Is it the photos of the military traffic one can get?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LFA7(T), usually active from 11am to 12am on weekdays, so I never had the chance to be there but gliders do ridge soaring there on weekends, why famous no idea but for lazy people Cad East is easily accessible by car and short walk/climb ?

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 Dec 10:13
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

just wonder why this place is famous. Is it the photos of the military traffic one can get?

I think it is one of the few places where you can see fighters at high speed barrelling through a valley and take fotos and videos from it. Similar to a spot in the grand canyon. Perhaps I am the only one here fascinated by these fighter planes :)

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 30 Dec 12:13
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Perhaps I am the only one here fascinated by these fighter plane :)

No, you are certainly not the only one. Fighter planes are fascinating. I vividly remember two F16s of the Greek Air Force over flying us at about 100 ft when we were holidaying on Crete…fascinating experience. The Mach Loop will probably offer similarly exciting close encounters.

If I had the time and money to, I would love to get checked out in an L35 or similar someday (IIRC JasonC has done that)…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

MedEwok wrote:

If I had the time and money to, I would love to get checked out in an L35 or similar someday (IIRC JasonC has done that)…

Yep, L-39. Was amazing fun. And I agree. The sound and presence of these aircraft is amazing. The fact you can stand in he Mach loop level with manoeuvring fighters is incredible. I love watching military fighters flying. In Colorado recently, I landed and was parked behind a row of F-18s. They are huge.

Last Edited by JasonC at 31 Dec 17:55
EGTK Oxford

You can fly in L39 in France !

What would be the nearest airfield to watch the show at the mach loop ? Is there a particular week of intense activity, or do people just seat all year long without any idea of what will come ?

LFOU, France
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message