Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lelystad EHLE - Visitors guide

Lelystad Airport EHLE is in the transition process of becoming an international airport with full ATC.
Everything is in place, except for the actual CAT traffic. This is pending a political decision to open up the airport for commercial traffic

A lot of things has been changed lately. This guideline is to help visiting pilots.

The airport
The airport is located about 25 NM northeast of Amsterdam. It has a hard runway of 2700m.
Opening hours are 07:00-22:00 local time daily.

The aviation museum Aviodrome located directly at the airport is worth a visit.
The airport restaurant Flantuas is highly recommended. It uses locally sourced ingredients and has a nice terrace with direct view on the runway.
For your Pilot gear, visit The Pilot Shop, owned by Peter_Mundy

Fuel
There is Avgas, Jet-A1 and UL91 fuel available. Check actual fuel prices here

Landing fees and parking
Landing fee is around 30 EUR for a < 1500kg aircraft. Parking 19 EUR per night.
Check the latest landing fees here
Visiting aircraft will be parked at the D Apron, SW of the tower. Bring your yellow jacket as this is mandatory

Runway Reservation
Lelystad operates its own runway capacity reservation system, called LARSA
You can login (either via web or an App), see how busy it is and reserve a landing / departure slot. The service is free of charge.

VFR operations
You need to file a flightplan. Check the latest charts. You are expected to arrive / depart via the BRAVO or MIKE route. But since you’re in a CTR you can as well just coordinate with ATC and fly a direct final.

IFR operations
Lelystad Approach is only available between 18:00 and 22:00 LT. This is due to staffing issues (they’re still sourcing APP controllers).
So, after 18:00 the airport is fully IFR and you can fly there as any other airport.

Between 07:00 and 18:00LT the airport is VFR so they accept only Z and Y flightplans.
The special VFR minima apply. If you file a RFL of > FL055 they expect you to fly the published SID profile.
For more details see this information leaflet

Getting into Amsterdam
Most visiting pilots will use Lelystad to visit the Amsterdam City Center.
The easiest way is by public transport. There is a direct train connection from Lelystad Central Station into Amsterdam Centraal.
You can use Bus 7 or Bus 148 to get to Lelystad Centrum, or a 10 min. taxi ride.
I suggest you to use Google Maps to find public transport directives.

Last Edited by lenthamen at 30 Dec 15:13

Eccellente! Grazie!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 30 Dec 15:01
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

lenthamen wrote:

For more details see this information leaflet

What are the “WTC LIGHT flights” they are referring to?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

What are the “WTC LIGHT flights” they are referring to?

Wake Turbulence Category LIGHT.

lenthamen wrote:

Wake Turbulence Category LIGHT.

Thanks. The document used another non-standard abbreviation: RFL, but I figured that one out.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

A bit of a disappointment though that it is still a VFR-only airport most of the day. So nothing really new for now.

I guess that will change though. Otherwise, they can‘t have airline or serious bizjet traffic.

Also a bit OTT having to book a slot. That is for IFR only?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

So, after 18:00 the airport is fully IFR and you can fly there as any other airport.

The ONLY thing that needed change didn’t…

EBST, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

A bit of a disappointment though that it is still a VFR-only airport most of the day. So nothing really new for now.

I agree its a disappointment. But that will change. For now I plan my arrivals after 18:00.

The slot is for both VFR and IFR. Someone more knowledgable than me said that there is no legal ground that they can enforce you to book a slot using their own app…

May need to visit in August and studying the AIP. I think IFR hours have expanded but will check closer the date. Fees seem quite steep if you are above 1,500 kg. Am told VFR from the UK would be via KONAN and COA but it looks like quite a lot of threats to navigate: gliding, parachuting, controlled airspace, danger areas, Belgium/Netherlands border crossing and then the arrival routes into EHLE. I get the impression if you are outside CAS you are on a listening watch looking out for yourself. It makes UK airspace look positively Texan with its relatively large portions of low level Class G. :)

In touch with one forumite but hopefully other based forumites eg @lenthamen (thank you for the OP) chip in

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Here’s a report from a local VFR pilot, when it comes to VFR to/from EHLE:
- Forget about LARSA/ slot booking. Nobody bothers.
- Arrival via MIKE, departure via BRAVO (see NOTAM) however:
- Arriving, in practice a direct join XRAY is almost always granted and safe. Coming from SW you could circumnavigate the CTR via Almere, follow the dike to the NE and join XRAY directly. When it is not very busy, a straight in for either runway heading is typically granted as well if you ask when outside.
- Departure: state intentions on initial call on Delivery. A straight out departure is almost always possible. Or a straight out from downwind. Ask Delivery; Tower will confirm or deny when you are ready for departure.
- Of course Mode S is mandatory in practice everywhere. Coming in from the southwest you could stay on 2500 alongside EHAM CTR and drop to 1500 when passing Utrecht. Then via PAM circumnavigate EHLE CTR as states above.

EHLE, Netherlands
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message