Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Elba to Malta - IFR

I hope you’ll like the attached video which records the departure and arrival segments of a recent IFR flight between Elba (LIRJ) and Malta (LMML) that I flew in the PA32 Piper Lance. You’ll see the curious s-shaped departure off 34 at Elba – designed to avoid the local hills, as well as an ILS onto 31 at Malta.

EGSC Cambridge, United Kingdom

Nice trip report and video. A few questions.

1. Any slots required?
2. Is Handling required and if so how much?
3. Any Avgas and price?
4. Landing Fee?
5. Parking Fee?
6. What month did you make the trip?

In early July of this year, I had a nice trip to Elba. Nice airport and friendly staff while not overly expensive. Only negative thing
is the parking area which is sand. Always wash the plane when I get back home in case the sand is salty. So far I have been fortunate enough not to have T.O. to the north.

KHTO, LHTL

Hi

Elba isn’t especially cheap for landing and parking, and the staff are very friendly and helpful. I echo your comments on the dusty sandy parking – you get a sense of that in the video. The main downside with Elba is the fuel which is horrendously expensive. I always ensure that I have enough to continue my journey without uploading on the island.

Malta is slot-free. Handling is mandatory. I used Air Malta, and the fee was around GBP60 with another 20 on top for the Landing and Parking. Fuel on Malta is relatively cheap (relative to the UK), so all in all, it is quite a cheap location to visit. The visit in the video was in June 2019.

EGSC Cambridge, United Kingdom

Thanks for your response.

KHTO, LHTL
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message