Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying my Cherokee from UK to Australia...!

G'day everyone... this is just to let anyone interested know, myself and my co-pilot Sam are going to fly my 1966 Cherokee 180 G-ATYS from London to Sydney later this year.

This is partly about a personal challenge - I'm an Australian ex-pat living in London for 24yrs and have always dreamt of flying home under my own steam! But it's also about charity - we have the ludicrous aim of trying to raise £1/NM (it's 10,500 NM from EGTB to YSBK..!).

If you find this of interest and want to follow our plans, preparations or have questions or want to offer advice(!) then please checkout our various web presences, all of which are listed at www.g-atys.co.uk.

Cheers!

Andy

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Looks like a fantastic adventure! I harbour the same vague ambition (been here in the UK on and off for 17 years)....btw I hope you have got your ASIC...

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Wow, good to see people make an aviation dream come true.

I take it you are flying VFR all the way, right? Do all these countries allow VFR flights? Who is sorting your permits?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi Andy

Thanks for the link. Was good to meet you on Saturday at Charlton Park. I will have a look and make a contribution. I am somewhat in awe of your challenge, and I wish you both well.

What an adventure!

I looked at your site, but it doesn't say how you will be planning it. It is a significant logistical exercise, to make sure you have avgas all the way, and in some cases to get the permits. A lot of people have done this sort of trip and normally they use an overflight agent to get overflight/landing permits / crew visas / etc and get some avgas drums positioned. On my site I have details of five such agents; can't speak for them as I have never used them.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Way to go! To say I am envious would be the understatement of the year! Look forward to following this trip.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Just caught the headlines of a 19 year in his Cirrus that has just landed at Lydd doing a solo round the world starting from Ozz. Seems to be contagious at the moment. A chap from South Africa has just passed this way in his Ravin 500 (what a beautiful aircraft) on his solo world trip. Makes my feet itch soooooooo badly. Hahahaha. Wonderful.

Always looking for adventure
Shoreham

Hi all - in response to the question about organising overflight permissions and other logistics such as Avgas, you're right its a logistical nightmare! We couldn't be doing this trip without the awesome support we're receiving from Eddie & Ahmed at General Aviation Support Egypt (G.A.S.E.) www.gasupportegypt.com.

Cheers!

Andy

Yeah baby!
EGTB

Andy, Airjourney have done this before as well. Be careful in Indonesia - Avgas hell.

EGTK Oxford

Traditionally, Egypt was not a problem, with avgas at Luxor (officially) and Aswan (unofficially). Now, you can get it at the airport called "6th October" near Cairo (as you know) but the fun still starts further down.

Lots of people have done these trips (e.g. UK to Cape Town, etc) but as far as I can tell every one of them used an overflight agent to organise the whole thing.

Being able to fly IFR makes it a lot easier. This means you need an IR. People who did it in G-reg Permit planes (which can't legally do IFR) got a one-off permission from the UK CAA, which was done with the "unspoken understanding" that you will not be filing IFR in Eurocontrol airspace.

Obviously burning avtur makes it much easier, but it still leaves the overflight permits to be done.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message