Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scandinavian Mountains Airport (ESKS)

There are some good news for you ski-coholics out there (caugh caugh @Peter). A new airport has opened near the Swedish ski resort “Sälen”. Now you can easily confuse Switzerland with Sweden and still get your ski vacations done!

Sälen

• Number of lifts: 90
  • Number of slopes: 100
  • Highest groomed point: 860 m.a.s.l
  • Vertical drop: 303 meter
  • Total piste length: 82 km
  • Snow Park: Yes
  • Fun Ride: Yes
  • Children/beginners area: Yes
  • Ski bus: Yes
  • Night skiing: Yes
  • Ski season opening: April
  • Restaurants: Approx 50
  • More info: https://www.skistar.com/en/ski-destinations/salen/

Scandinavian Mountains Airport

Last Edited by Dimme at 07 Jan 12:13
ESME, ESMS

The American in me dies a little every time I see PPR. Cool that it’s a remote tower. I’m curious how they could get some approaches built but Säve has been towered again for over a year and still not even an RNP…

Sweden

Dimme wrote:

Now you can easily confuse Switzerland with Sweden and still get your ski vacations done!

Will be difficult to confuse due to daylight constraints More seriously, thanks for posting. I’ve been flying to Östersund and driving to Åre for several years now. Will consider this one instead.

LPFR, Poland

Thanks Dimme, looks worth it even in summer hopefully open 20h day VFR

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Night VFR is allowed in Sweden and during times when the tower is closed the airport becomes Class G uncontrolled airfield and you can land basically without transponder or radio if you want.

ESME, ESMS

Just the bit of the CTR/TMA that protrudes Norway is RMZ.

ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Night VFR is allowed in Sweden and during times when the tower is closed the airport becomes Class G uncontrolled airfield and you can land basically without transponder or radio if you want.

Thanks, touring with the Mrs and vintage wood don’t mix that much, but always good to know

@Noe, your FIC instructor/examiner is taking his “poor-man spitfire” (Chipmunk ) and wife near there this summer, we may chip-in in something even slower

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I found an error in the missed approach for ILS RWY 33. It has been reported to the authorities:

“CLIMB STRAIGHT AHEAD TO 3000, TURN RIGHT (MAX IAS 210KT) TO LAJTA CLIMBING TO 2500 AND JOIN HOLDING”

The LAJTA holding minimum altitude is 5000 feet. Please don’t fly into the mountains!

Edit: NOTAMs have been published, the missed approaches for the ILS/LOC for both runways have changed significantly. Other changes have been implemented as well. Check your NOTAMs.

Last Edited by Dimme at 07 Jan 13:22
ESME, ESMS

Dimme wrote:

Now you can easily confuse Switzerland with Sweden and still get your ski vacations done!

Vertical drop: 303 meter
The risk of confusion is minimal.
ESMK, Sweden

A 303 meter drop sounds scary. Surely that is way beyond even a black run?

Thank you Dimme for this tip. It sounds like a good location. Not high altitude so more snow sensitive than the Alps, but that’s ok.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message