Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Scandinavian Mountains Airport (ESKS)

Sorry for the off topic post.
loco wrote:

Will be difficult to confuse due to daylight constraints More seriously, thanks for posting. I’ve been flying to Östersund and driving to Åre for several years now. Will consider this one instead.

@loco
I think that I actually heard you on the radio the other day as you were heading north. If Åre is your destination you could also try Åre/Molanda which is an airfield much closer to Åre(south of Järpen community). A nice little sealed runway of about 860 meters that lacks an ICAO code but is visible in SkyDemon. It is VFR day only and they do not have JET A-1 anymore but they do have a great and helpful people. I have been there many times with a PC-12, there is also equipment to do a de-ice(ladders, brooms and heaters).

Can really recommend it if you plan to stay for a while. Better to place your money there(to preserve the airfield) than in the hands of Swedavia. ;)

ESSZ, Sweden

@Fly310 Thanks, I am aware of this airfield and would like to try it in summer months. Week ago, the larger airport was an advantage, as weather for takeoff was a mess. Wish I had skates, when trying to move on the apron :-)

LPFR, Poland

Peter wrote:

A 303 meter drop sounds scary. Surely that is way beyond even a black run?

Surely it makes a difference over what distance… :-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Peter wrote:

Not high altitude so more snow sensitive than the Alps, but that’s ok.

We have for some years been skiing in Sweden around Easter.
It is true that it is not as high as the alps but generally I think the temperatures are lower and there is much better chance of good snow.
We usually go a bit late in the season where the daylight is longer, it is not so cold and the snow is still very good.
If you are looking for easy skiing, a place where you can go directly out of the door and put on the skis and a good place for family vacation, Sweden is a good choice.
For after skiing, dinning out, trips with the boys I find the Alp destinations better.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

It’s only 40 min drive to Trysil also

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I see SAS offer tickets from London to Sälen/Trysil from £99 Hard to beat with a SEP

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@loco, were you there when the Easyjet went off the taxiway? I landed around 13:30 that day and it sure was icy. They had braking action 5 when they opened the airport that morning…

ESSZ, Sweden

It probably was the same day. It was extremely icy and I had to walk my family one by one to the plane, sliding feet. Airline flights were delayed due to runway condition. When we finally got in the plane, I found a sigmet for fzra fcst in the area. Almost got out, but tower said there were no reports of sev ice from other aircraft and also what I saw falling down was regular rain. Tough decision to take off with family and dog onboard a small prop plane. We took off around 11:30Z. Btw, found that with airflow over the rudder and reverse thrust, the TBM doesn’t need grip to taxi.

Last Edited by loco at 08 Jan 07:47
LPFR, Poland

Good catch Dimme! 2500 now 5200 according to NOTAM. A typo that could cause… but you found it. Well done!

ESOW, Sweden

I don’t want to take credit for the NOTAM. I think there have been earlier reports. I didn’t check NOTAMs before I reported it.

New airport and plenty of changes in the approaches it seems, I guess these things will be ironed out with time.

ESME, ESMS
Sign in to add your message