Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Femund ice strip is open for the season

For those who want something different, Femund Fjellstue has opened their airport for the season (from now and until the ice breaks)

This year it is 1200×30 m and a windsock is placed south/soutwest of the runway. They recommend high and low recon fly past before landing, and to call then before coming.

I haven’t been there in a couple of years. I managed to puncture the last time (nothing to do with the ice, just poor tires)

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It doesn’t appear to have an ICAO code… how can one find it?

It does look amazing. How thick is the ice?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This time of year the ice is probably more than 1/2 meter thick, nothing to worry about. It doesn’t have an ICAO code, it’s simply a stretch on the ice that is plowed and with small bushes placed on the sides

It’s here

This is the hotel/restaurant (Femund Fjellstue). The strip is on the ice just off the shore. The exact position changes slightly from year to year. You really have to do some recon flights to find it before landing. Landing on the ice outside of the plowed field is NOT recommended. One thing is snow, another thing is “over water” (water on the ice, and usually below the snow). It will end with a crash. With skis, no problem of course.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Around what time does the ice start to break ?
Is it doable with a Mooney or is it rather tundra-style territory?

EBST, Belgium

After Easter time, the ice starts to become rotten, but it depends when Easter is of course. May is usually too late. Exact time is impossible to say.

I have never flown a Mooney, so don’t know. You need to be able to stop, and it can be very slippery. Short field technique is a must. I think this is more important the the surface itself, which is smooth enough.

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

So march would be ok…(checking agenda)

EBST, Belgium

Oh yes

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message