Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

Isn’t Bay of Biscay too far west?

UK via one stop at LFBL or LFSL or LFBA to LEIB should work in a Diesel DA40.

The routing into LEIB is atrocious, Eurocontrol screwing you with 100% more overwater than required.

I’d buy a PLB for each lifevest and bring a raft.

Oxygen not required from the routings FF just recommended.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 14 Sep 06:24
always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

The routing into LEIB is atrocious, Eurocontrol screwing you with 100% more overwater than required.

You hardly do end up flying the route they give you in the system to be fair. Just ask for a direct, either still with the French or with BCN ATC and you will Prob90 get it.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Snoopy wrote:

UK via one stop at LFBL or LFSL or LFBA to LEIB should work in a Diesel DA40.

The problem with one-stop is, I’d have barely any reserves left. I’ve been flying all up to max take-off weight lately on my IFR trips with 4-5 hours of fuel and feel comfortable with that. I did this to/from Newquay and Liverpool with the same passengers and had plenty of fuel in reserve when I landed. 2hrs 40 to NQY, 1hr 40 to LPL.
This isn’t a DA40NG but a DA40 TDI with 1150kg MTOW. The NG could do it non-stop…

For 5 days of stay and lifejackets, and potentially oxygen (if I get into the higher flight levels for quicker flight times) then I’d need to carry 80-90 liters. So presume Rennes/Le Mans > Limoges > Perpignan/Montpellier are ideal?

I don’t mind making multiple stops, so long as I can turn the aircraft around in 40 minutes.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

Hello all,
We arrived to Ibiza IFR last saturday Sept 11th from Figari and left on sunday Sept 12th to Madrid Cuatro Vientos.
All went straightforward thanks to Ibizair handling agent, I copy you their contact:

TODAY FLIGHTS +34 971 809 124
FAX +34 971 809 126

H24 Tel +34 639 602 538

FLIGHTS AHEAD +34 971 809 127
ADMIN & ACCOUNTS +34 971 809 128

SITA IBZSPXH – VHF freq 131.425

Ibizair, S.L.
Aeropuerto de Ibiza

Email: [email protected]
Person of contact: Mrs Belen

As of today slots are required for IFR operations……. Stupid requirement ……. So the main purpose of contracting the handler is just to get this solved……..
We paid 130 Euros total for a DA42 with 3 people, and using the commercial entry/exit to avoid the extra 70 Eur per person/per exit-entry via the Executive FBO…….

We got assigned parking 77M. Please be very carefull on your arrival to park the aircraft in a position where you can taxi out the next day… as strange as it may seems the Ibiza AENA ground personell will be looking for pilots making 180 turns on their engines or even pushing by hand is forbidden … they will try to charge you for a pushback with the truck…. This is much more stupid…. But the Ibizair personell will help you to push back in case you have parked forward to avoid this stupid local requirement……..
The trick if you can is to park on your arrival backwards so on your departure you are ready to taxi on your own power.

Have a great trip !

Carlos

Carlos
LECU LEFM, Spain

CarlosJ wrote:

Hello all,
We arrived to Ibiza IFR last saturday Sept 11th from Figari and left on sunday Sept 12th to Madrid Cuatro Vientos.
All went straightforward thanks to Ibizair handling agent, I copy you their contact:

This seems practical :) Thanks for posting, can you post this up in the https://airports.euroga.org/ with a breakdown of the costs?

EGSG, United Kingdom

Hi All,

I am currently toying with a few ideas; mostly because I am weight/payload and endurance restricted to about 4-4.5 hours with me, my x2 POB, and our bags.

Firstly, a stop in Le Mans to clear Customs and Schengen (Will this work with British Passports?)

Then onto La Rochelle, then Biarritz then Reus for a quick fuel stop.

The only reason I haven’t chosen Perpignan on this occasion as I’ve seen there are strong headwinds making the flight to IBZ via O/H PMI about 3hrs long! I ideally want any planned flights being 2hrs30-2hrs40 at max.

Thoughts would help with other routings, and stop-offs every 2-2.5 hrs.

P.s. What is Reus or Girona like for quick JetA1 stops?

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 15 Sep 11:51
EGSG, United Kingdom

Why the stop in Le Mans? Go straight to La Rochelle.

In European touring, the name of the game is avoiding unnecessary stops.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Why the stop in Le Mans? Go straight to La Rochelle.

In European touring, the name of the game is avoiding unnecessary stops.

I fully agree, the issue seemingly is if I’ve got a stonking headwind then 2hrs 45m-3 hrs (with reasonable alternate weather) is the limit for me. If I loose some excess weight by then, might be able to do La Rochelle with no issues. The worry for me will be the extra track miles out of London. I will almost certainly be vectored wide of Biggin & Gatwick and eat into my reserves.

Is Nantes a bad option IFR?

EGSG > LFRS (02h35m)
LFRS > LFBZ (02h00m) or LFRS > LFMP (03h00m)
LFBZ > LERS (1h55m) + LERS > LEIB (02h00m)
or LFMP > LEIB (02h40m)

EGSG, United Kingdom

If I loose some excess weight by then

Can your plane not carry you and full fuel?

Nearly all GA “touring” is done with full tanks.

Why the 3hr limit otherwise? If it is toilet-driven then carry a pee bottle. I know there is much resistance to the idea in GA, but, one day, one coffee too many, no sunlight, -5C OAT, you will end up in a really dire and dangerous situation.

I will almost certainly be vectored wide of Biggin & Gatwick and eat into my reserves.

Flying below CAS is going to burn far less fuel than flying 2x the track miles in CAS.

But if you are this tight, the flight is far from safe anyway. In GA one needs ample reserves. One needs to be planning to land with some 2hrs’ fuel and that is assuming there are good alternates with fuel.

And wind forecasts are often bollocks. I did a flight out of Greece 3 days ago on which the wind was some 30ft off. A 10kt TW was actually a 20kt HW, for maybe 200nm, and then it went the other way round.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Can your plane not carry you and full fuel?

Nearly all GA “touring” is done with full tanks.

Why the 3hr limit otherwise? If it is toilet-driven then carry a pee bottle. I know there is much resistance to the idea in GA, but, one day, one coffee too many, no sunlight, -5C OAT, you will end up in a really dire and dangerous situation.

We will be x3 POB (They are fairly lightweight), but with small bags – we will be MTOW easily. I did 2hrs 40m (50kt headwind) to Newquay recently and landed with 1.5hrs reserve.

I will be purchasing a pee bottle for this trip ;)

Peter wrote:

Flying below CAS is going to burn far less fuel than flying 2x the track miles in CAS.

But if you are this tight, the flight is far from safe anyway. In GA one needs ample reserves. One needs to be planning to land with some 2hrs’ fuel and that is assuming there are good alternates with fuel.

I’ve not had any issues being vectored out and around the Stansted/Luton Areas, but never done anything southbound towards Europe yet. With TMA traffic very light at the moment, you seem to get what you want and I climb quite quickly in a Diesel Turbo. Normally once I am above MSL/MSL+1 I am given my routing.

The issue is not about being tight, but I know 4-4.5 hours endurance is currently all I can do with the 3 of us that plan to go Ibiza. I’ve done 4 flights recently with all of us and measured the fuel very accurately.

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message