Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

Green list has Menorca on it, where we had a great meet-up in 2017. Doable direct in a TB20.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Green list has Menorca on it, where we had a great meet-up in 2017. Doable direct in a TB20.

Are you thinking of planning a trip? Direct in the DA40D as we have the extra range tanks onboard, but couldn’t do 3 up with that to make it feasible.

I’ve just read online that the closing parties for Ibiza are usually 16th September to 18th October, but this year a fair few clubs have announced 23rd October. My current roster dictates being off 7th-12th of October, so might be worthy of a shout. Half term is the 22nd of October 2021, so might get a cheap deal on hotels, not that the children are going to Ibiza.

Although something strikes me that period being a Gota Fria usually?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

The problem with going to one of these few green destinations is that they will be packed out.

They are already packed by people from certain countries on the mainland and now they will be packed out by Brits as well. Basically much of the normal Easyjet/Ryanar customer base will be heading for these few places.

Refuelling enroute is CV19-exempt, but there is always a slight risk if there is a problem with the plane, or with wx on the next leg. If the country where you refulled imposes a strict quarantine on Brits, they would be entitled to lock you up in some facility, until you deliver a negative test.

Personally, I would rather go somewhere where there is little N European tourism, and take the UK return quarantine hit, i.e. Croatia or Greece. The actual holiday will be much nicer, and anecdotally (as I wrote in the CV19 thread) it looks like they stop watching you once they see the day 2 test come back as negative, and that test can be done on or before day 2!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isolating back in the UK doesn’t help me at all. I can’t work from home in my job role and I won’t be paid. Fingers crossed that having tested positive for COVID-19 Antibodies for the infection in Spring 20’ and having since been double jabbed I won’t need to isolate back in the UK. I guess it all then depends on how the EU view us Brits going forward.

In terms of re-fuelling, I guess it’s a careful plan to ensure that you don’t risk being stuck for unforeseen circumstances like aircraft tech or weather.

I have booked the aircraft in early to Mid-October for the closing parties in Ibiza, and hopefully can venture my way there. All depends on the situation.

Peter wrote:

The problem with going to one of these few green destinations is that they will be packed out.

They are already packed by people from certain countries on the mainland and now they will be packed out by Brits as well. Basically much of the normal Easyjet/Ryanar customer base will be heading for these few places.

Refuelling enroute is CV19-exempt, but there is always a slight risk if there is a problem with the plane, or with wx on the next leg. If the country where you refulled imposes a strict quarantine on Brits, they would be entitled to lock you up in some facility, until you deliver a negative test.

Personally, I would rather go somewhere where there is little N European tourism, and take the UK return quarantine hit, i.e. Croatia or Greece. The actual holiday will be much nicer, and anecdotally (as I wrote in the CV19 thread) it looks like they stop watching you once they see the day 2 test come back as negative, and that test can be done on or before day 2!

EGSG, United Kingdom

I’ve been planning with a couple of friends for 7th-12th October 2021. Due to weight restrictions and the fact the direct journey would be super uncomfortable on our bladders, I’ve been looking at the following route.

London > Jersey > Bilbao/San Sebastian > Ibiza.

What are the alternate routes via France for 2-3 hour flights. IFR IAPs available and alternates with similar nearby.

I did take note of the following; https://xn—realaeroclubdeespaa-d4b.org/dont-let-them-cheat-you/

Is this still relevant? For Spanish Airports?

Also, where does everyone stay when they go to Ibiza? Best Self-Catering location. Villa with a Pool and BBQ? or too pricy?

EGSG, United Kingdom

I have done two leg trips, UK – Ibiza, several times. Usually stopping at Limoges or Beziers in France. This would give you a much more direct routing too. Last time I went I was so outraged at the fuel prices in Ibiza, and slow process too, that I made sure I tankered enough fuel to get back to southern France, hence the Beziers stop.

Last Edited by Buckerfan at 25 Jul 14:38
Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Not sure about JetA prices in Spain? but Spanish handling fees are cheap and dwarfed by the spread of Avgas price between France & Spain, especially when when you put 250L at 3.7€/L…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Do you have an AirBP card? Check in advance as with your account prices may be better

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Buckerfan wrote:

I have done two leg trips, UK – Ibiza, several times. Usually stopping at Limoges or Beziers in France. This would give you a much more direct routing too. Last time I went I was so outraged at the fuel prices in Ibiza, and slow process too, that I made sure I tankered enough fuel to get back to southern France, hence the Beziers stop.

I am going to have a look at those two airports via Autoroute. I’ll probably have to do 2 or 3 short-tech stops. I am not sure how comfortable my two friends would be with a she-pee, let alone me using the equivalent hah. But we spoke about it on Wednesday and said we’ll do 2-3 hour flights to get there and back. The only issue at the moment is you aren’t allowed to transit France, as the HMG have effectively blocked that now with this Amber Plus.

How much is JetA1 in Ibiza? I don’t use AvGas, so it opens up more options for fuelling. I fly DA40D

Ibra wrote:

Not sure about JetA prices in Spain? but Spanish handling fees are cheap and dwarfed by the spread of Avgas price between France & Spain, especially when when you put 250L at 3.7€/L…

Antonio wrote:

Do you have an AirBP card? Check in advance as with your account prices may be better

I see you have all mentioned fuel prices. Bit worrying haha! I do have an AirBP Card for JetA1, but it has since expired. I presume getting a TOTAL Fuel Card and Shell would be wise for any EuroTouring?

See this is the thing. How much are the handling costs for a DA40? 4A right? I presume I am looking at £100+ for a weeks stay, not £200-300? Do I email Iberia handling and just quote the bare basics as per that guide or is there more to it?

EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

The only issue at the moment is you aren’t allowed to transit France, as the HMG have effectively blocked that now with this Amber Plus.

egtr-ebci-lege-… ?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message