Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

CarlosJ wrote:

We paid 130 Euros total for a DA42 with 3 people, and using the commercial entry/exit to avoid the extra 70 Eur per person/per exit-entry via the Executive FBO…

Hola Carlos!

Last time I tried with Ibiza GA handlers pre-COVID the answer was the FBO terminal was mandatory so I it is great news that has changed.
Paying <100EUR extra vs ElCheapo handling is quite acceptable at IBZ. Had you gone via the FBO with 3POB in&out it would have been 70×3×2=420 Eur +VAT on top.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Is Nantes a bad option IFR?

It should work but you “will need assistance” and will take ages unless you know someone at aeroclub, I landed there once but VFR and it was a bit of hassle, I figured out later that StNazaire LFRZ was 1000 times better and worked neat for IFR arrival in the area (or IFR/VFR cloudbreaks or departures to/from LaBaule)

Last Edited by Ibra at 16 Sep 10:16
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I would avoid Nantes if I were you. If you can’t get the club to do the handling it can be expensive.
LFRZ is much better and cheaper, but is it a port of entry now/still?
Le Mans is pretty good. Long runways, IAPs, small office and not a lot of bureaucracy. Best not to arrive between 1200 and 1400.
Don’t forget to check out the Covid 19 regs and your on your honour Covid declaration for all 3 of you.
LFRM to LFBH is only just over an hour, so I agree with some others, why do both?

France

@pilotrobbie this probably isn’t what you want to hear given the time, effort and money you’ve put into your IR but it is probably simpler and easier to fly VFR (or at least, file VFR and go ad-hoc IFR where necessary) to La Rochelle.

I’ve done La Rochelle (VFR) a few times from the London area and once you escape from under the LTMA it’s basically a dead-straight line at an altitude of your choice. It’s hard not to reach the conclusion that filing IFR for the same route would result in more track miles, more time in the air and more fuel burned. I know the purpose of the IR is to make touring simpler, but that’s only the case when airspace or weather make VFR difficult.

Filing IFR is the right tool for Peter’s trips over the Alps because if done VFR it presents enormous challenges with terrain, airspace and weather, not to mention having to study and understand the VFR charts for quite large areas of multiple countries. VFR-inaccessible airspace may cause a significant detour from the otherwise-optimum route and hence IFR does greatly simplify things. Getting from the London area to La Rochelle doesn’t have these problems, and certainly once in France the VFR flight is just a straight line at some pleasant altitude like FL70 with one radar controller handing you to the next.

What doesn’t seem to have been nailed down is your endurance with these two friends plus bags on board. You need to decide definitively how much fuel you can carry, what reserve you need/want, and hence your maximum planned flight leg in nm. When I tour it’s usually just with my girlfriend so we are not W&B limited and we take full tanks (five hours). I then limit us to a planned four hours with a one hour reserve, but in reality we rarely plan anything over three hours so we get a two hour reserve. On the rare occasions we go somewhere four-up, we are (depending on their weight) limited to about three hours fuel, so that is two hours planned with a one hour reserve – quite limiting – hence the oft-quoted saying that if you want to carry four people regularly then you need a six-seater.

Last Edited by Graham at 22 Sep 09:16
EGLM & EGTN

gallois wrote:

LFRZ is much better and cheaper, but is it a port of entry now/still?

Yes, I landed there August last year there on way to LaBaule and we did same thing on departure back to UK, however, there was no single soul in tower/terminal/fire stations on both days, on return I decided to make the full stop and actively go look for douniers (VAT/Brexit & tout ca, but no one was around), then just as I started taxying on second leg there was an old couple waving for help at the gates (it was PA46 that was nearby and heading to Norwich, they were stuck at door without codes), I still wonder how the heck they would have done without us?

If one is looking to meet and speak to people, I think LaRochelle LFBH is much more enjoyable !

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Sep 11:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Hi All,

Thanks for all the latest responses. I’ll have a proper read through soon.

Unfortunately I will delay this trip till at least May 22’ – maybe we can even make it a meet up, and I’ll get a villa and put the BBQ on?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I am planning a visit in August for 1 week. Iberia will only provide Servicio De acompanimiento.

I am just emailing AENA, like I did with Girona. Presume they’ll arrange everything for parking, IFR charges etc.

I also need to contact a refueller or like Girona, will Iberia force their hand to get that sorted? Or am I better paying a little bit more for another handler?

EGSG, United Kingdom

I contacted Iberia, rang them earlier and they was very busy. They will only offer Servicio de Acompanamiento, which is fine; what will the cost of this be? Iberia ES in Girona charged me EUR109.00, so presume Iberia ES in Ibiza are highly unlikely to charge me that much on the basis they’ll do nothing.

Antonio wrote:

For paying landing fees you need to get a draft invoice before departure. Then pay online. Details follow
Email with details (flights, type, #crew, #pax, as well as MTOW, then request draft invoice to pay online with “pago a pie de avion”): [email protected]

I contacted AENA earlier, they’ve just replied explaining I must pay online. They did not give me a quotation, but I presume I can work this out? I gather it’ll be similar to AENA Girona which is the same price bracket? Do AENA Ibiza not have to give me permission like AENA Girona did to land/park? Or is this down to the limit Girona has? Confused at how different both airports are ran.

Antonio wrote:

Ah, forgot one additional detail: if you are flying in IFR (not recommended) you need slot approval. Elcheapo handler will not do that for you. GA handler will.

Cancel IFR in advance of approach and avoid the hassle is my advice.

They’ve gave me the email address for SLOT Coordination. Presume I’ll email them for the IFR slot? However it says 15 days maximum? I’d rather do in advanced, but presume for non-scheduled they do 15 in advanced? I guess will have to contact them as per AENA request.

Ibra wrote:

Be careful with JetA1 trucks hook up fee even if using Cards (World Fuel, AirBP, Total), the fees cost more than full tanks on DA40 TDI, it’s better to pay with normal credit card or cash sometimes…

I got stung with the AirBP in Girona & Nuremberg, 100£ in fees. I do wonder if it’s cheaper to put on my Credit Card?

Talking of Ibiza, I can’t see what the fuel companies are. Do Iberia arrange for them to come to me? I am going to try and route either via Geneva, Marseille, Toulouse, Montpellier or if I have to Girona and re-fuel there if it’s too complicated in Ibiza. I don’t want to be heading out to the Med with limited fuel reserves, unless I have a stonking tailwind and 2-3 hours IFR reserve.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 21 Jun 15:34
EGSG, United Kingdom

pilotrobbie wrote:

I contacted AENA earlier, they’ve just replied explaining I must pay online. They did not give me a quotation, but I presume I can work this out? I gather it’ll be similar to AENA Girona which is the same price bracket? Do AENA Ibiza not have to give me permission like AENA Girona did to land/park? Or is this down to the limit Girona has? Confused at how different both airports are ran.

AENA sent a draft invoice to me of 75,19EUR INCL VAT, so that’s not bad for 7 nights. Servicio de Acompanamiento with Iberia should be 9EUR each way, so if I manage this under 100EUR that will be hilarious.

They’ve gave me the wrong email for SLOTS though. slot.coord @ aena.es

I believe it should be
slots @ aefca.es ?

EGSG, United Kingdom

Hi All,

If all goes well I should be on the Island from 18th-25th of August. Iberia provide just the basic to/from shuttle to the main terminal (apparently). I’ll be staying in Playa D’en Bossa for the week.

For 1.5T it’s EUR73 + EUR10/10 each way above. So it looks reasonable if you can get an IFR slot from AECFA or go in VFR.

Anyone fancy going in?

EGSG, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message