Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR to Ibiza LEIB feasibility

Antonio wrote:

@pilotrobbie, how many email iterations with AENA did it take to get this achieved and were they kind and forthcoming in their answers?

AENA was most helpful. I first emailed them last year with expected costs, and no issues and received the Request Presupuesto for the aircraft and times/dates.

On the morning I sent them an email with the final Presupuesto and they just had a query or two on who was doing the handling. I said Iberia and that was it and I sent them the payment confirmation PDF.

Iberia was the funniest one, they didn’t know I existed until they found the email offering me the service. You just have to be somewhat persistent in phone calls and they eventually get it. But their service was amazing considering, sweet short and simple. I wouldn’t like to try it in June-August though when there are more flights due to the school holidays.

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

@pilotrobbie, how many email iterations with AENA did it take to get this achieved and were they kind and forthcoming in their answers?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Tango wrote:

For sure managing not to get fleeced during a multi-night stay is an achievement in itself 😅

Looking forward to the full report

Yeah, AENA airport fees seem reasonable. It’s the absurd handling fees that I’ve seen or have been offered, but Iberia – couldn’t fault them other than the usual translation issues and paperwork chasing.

Will do a blog for the site at a later date, once I’ve got the other big trips out the way.

172driver wrote:

The poor Iberia girl in her miniskirt uniform

What was she doing wearing that in a snowstorm lol!

EGSG, United Kingdom

Just for a little trip down memory lane:

24 years ago this December I flew a C172RG from LEMG to LEIB. No GPS, dead reckoning and VORs. 3.1 hours with a landing – in a snowstorm! Yes, really. The poor Iberia girl in her miniskirt uniform was shivering, but she did get us – girlfriend and me – in a full-sized bus and drove us to the terminal. Landing fee was around the equivalent of 7 or 8 EUR (IIRC still in Pesetas at the time). Those were the days….

Last Edited by 172driver at 29 Sep 19:06

For sure managing not to get fleeced during a multi-night stay is an achievement in itself 😅

Looking forward to the full report

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

I think such a long journey is an achievement, yes.

I’d say it’s worth flying too – especially if you prefer the Mallorca-esque side of the Island vs Party Central – https://www.icelolly.com/blog/the-quieter-side-of-ibiza

It’ll be out in the New Year :)

Jujupilote wrote:

It is weird that visiting an Spanish airport seems an achievement

Is the island of Ibiza worth the trouble flying there ?

Good luck for the video editing ! I will be happy when this trip gets on YT.

EGSG, United Kingdom

Here’s a PDF copy of the form that you need for the return with Iberia – this is usually given to you by the driver on arrival at LEIB/IBZ. This is to be presented to security, and the driver who takes you back to the aircraft will sign.

LEIB_IBZ_GENDEC_Iberia_Security_H_pdf

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 29 Sep 18:33
EGSG, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

I was on Ibiza last Friday, a day trip for lunch from Denia. I took the ferry this time.. However last time I visited the island I flew in on my Bonanza. I looked on that as an achievement because as a kid I lived in Den Bossa on the island. Sat under the flight path watching the Spantax DC 7 and AeroMaritime Constellations, Air Europa DC4. What a childhood.

I actually went to the local school for a time! The actual handling and flying was a breeze when we flew from Son Bonet over to LEIB VFR. Cool trip.

Ibiza has changed, drastically in my view, but not for the better. Appears to be a lot a tramps, homeless, on the streets of old town. Not hippies as they were when I lived there However I live in Glasgow so well used to the streets being a bit interesting.

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 29 Sep 17:11
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

It is weird that visiting an Spanish airport seems an achievement

Good luck for the video editing ! I will be happy when this trip gets on YT.

LFOU, France

So I managed to do Ibiza Airport for a total of £75, IFR with Iberia – both ways. An absolute steal.

Other than the 1hr wait airside for refuel, the process was smooth.

https://airports.euroga.org/record.php?id=1489

I will post a more in depth review soon of how to get IFR slots very easily (I seem to have nailed the format which seems to work and is easily adaptable) along with what process I took, but most of the information was available here. (Thanks all for your help – @Antonio especially)

JetA1 was also decent priced at 139.98 EUR for 73 litres.

Last Edited by pilotrobbie at 29 Sep 07:46
EGSG, United Kingdom
159 Posts
Sign in to add your message