Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aberdeen EGPD visit - any aviating contacts please?

I’ve always chosen Dundee when visiting my relatives in Aberdeen. Very reasonable landing fees (handled by the flying club). Instrument approaches available. Car hire can be dropped off at the club ready for you to drive away. Good dual carriageway roads all the way. For where I was going, this wasn’t significantly longer than from Dyce (Aberdeen) and very much more convenient. I recall there was also an additional handling fee at Aberdeen for Saturday or Sunday operations.

It does depend slightly on which part of Aberdeen you plan to visit, but its clear that the main airport really doesn’t want the hassle of GA visitors. It’s a very busy airport at times with a considerable volume of helicopter traffic alongside commercial fixed wing flights.

One of my distant relatives gave up his farmland to expand the airport some decades ago, with a Compulsory Purchase Order from what was then the local council. It sad to see the airport’s policy is so strongly focussed on commercial success and no longer accommodating the needs of the wider aviation community as found in other European and foreign countries.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

Handling quote these days is £350 plus including VAT (SEP) and AvGas £2.24 a litre. Long side looks a good bet, thank you @NeilC

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Longside EGPS (500m hard surface) could also be an option. It’s close to Peterhead and the A90 thus transport to Aberdeen could easily be arranged.

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

The other options are Insch and the intriguingly named Whiterashes, both grass and some ways from Aberdeen.

In these days of less activity perhaps the charges might be a wee bit more reasonable?

I went some years ago and it was over £200, and that was after a “specially negotiated discount” so I would do due diligence first.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@AnthonyQ might be visiting family in the Granite city. Last time I flew into EGPD was over ten years ago, and they were quite accessible. I see that mandatory handling is now a feature and have e mailed Dalcros. There appears to still be AvGas so am guessing some piston GA is still based at the airport.

I still remember when all airports in Scotland were accessible to light GA, turning up at Edinburgh in an old Apache being now just a nostalgic memory.

Thanks for your help everyone. Addresses noted and will be in touch if we require any further advice...

UK, United Kingdom

Tricky without knowing where he is staying! Dyce itself is about 7 miles from Aberdeen.

My email is dockate(@)gmail(.)com he can email me when he knows more :)

Send an email to [email protected] send me an email to [email protected] and I can give you a few contacts

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Thanks Dockate

I appreciate your swift response, it does help and was as we both expected really. This has all come up quickly so any 'insider info' is useful!

As you appear to know the area - can you recommend anywhere that serves a decent meal in the evening (again close to the airport)? Ideally somewhere that serves either seafood or italian perhaps? Definitely not a curry though! I tried the local tourist office and they weren't terribly helpful. Unfortunately, I have no idea which hotel he will be staying in, so thought it would be useful to have a backup plan for a meal over the next two evenings!

Thanks again in advance!

UK, United Kingdom
12 Posts
Sign in to add your message